recto cabinet question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeller

Reaction score
Speaking of sound - I have the opportunity to buy a 2x12 horizonal recto cabinet with Vintage 30's. How would that cabinet sound compared to a 2x12 open back with Black Shadow's, aside from the directional change of the closed back?

The C90 is a darker and slightly looser speaker in my experiences. Scooped in the mids and deeper lows as compared to a V30. It depends on what amp you're using and the tones you're looking for, but for my high gain applications with a Rectifier, I ended up not liking them much at all. All they really did was muddy my sound.

Eric

I agree with Eric. C90s are basically a beefed up Classic Lead 80. I ran a pair in my Recto cab for a while, and I really didn't like the tone. It was too scooped for me. I put the V30s back in and was much happier.

Comparing an open back cab and a closed back with different speakers is like apples and oranges. They're going to be totally different, and it depends on what type of tone you're looking for as to which one will be better for you.

The reason I asked is that I have an Express 5:50 head that I carry around as a backup to an Express 5:50 combo with a 1-12 extension cabinet.

I was thinking of paring down a little and using an Express 5:50 head (or perhaps an Electra Dyne if I could get my hands on one to try) with a 2x12 cabinet instead. I ran across a local deal on a Recto 2x12 cabinet I may buy.

I posted on the Express forum if anyone had tried an Express with V-30's but had no reply

Comments?

Thanks gents,
Mike

hey guys im using cabinet crate bv 412 w/ cele v.30 16 ohm for my mesa boogie single rectifier... is it good??? im new for mesa boogie and just got this mesa boogie about 2 month ago... and i got the crate cabinet only for 350$ (new condition) in indonesia :)

macbethava said:
hey guys im using cabinet crate bv 412 w/ cele v.30 16 ohm for my mesa boogie single rectifier... is it good??? im new for mesa boogie and just got this mesa boogie about 2 month ago... and i got the crate cabinet only for 350$ (new condition) in indonesia :)

If it sounds good to you then its fine.

Something I look for in a cabinet is that it doesnt rattle around or make odd vibration sounds. It sounds open and not directional, also sounds good if im in front of the cab, to the side, behind it, anywhere. If it has that, then I dont even care about what speakers are in it or what brand the cab is.

Jerrick said:
macbethava said:

If it sounds good to you then its fine.

Truth.

The Crate BV cabs aren't bad. For as much as people dislike Crate, the Blue Voodoo series is actually a good amp, and the cabs are decent too. Especially the ones with V30s. I used to own a BV120 head and cab with regular Crate speakers, and if it would have had more low end (which V30s would have helped) I would have kept it.

I have a 2x12 and a 4x12 recto cabs loaded with V30's. They sounded very good with the rectifier but I hate them with my mk4. The rectifier amp is a very mid weak amp and the mid spike in the v30 speaker compensates for that they work well together. The mark 4 on the other hand is a very mid rich amp to say the least and and thus to my ears sounds rather crappy in V30 speakers unless played at an earbleeding volumes where the bottom seems to shine in balance with the mids.

Peace

Geiri

well thanks for the feedback guys :) i'll keep my crate bv cabs and earn more money for mesa cabs :D

Hey All,

Just a quick suggestion macbethava - check out ebay for the older (i.e. pre recto) 4x12's that boogie used to make (they can be ID'd by the wide diagonal lattice used on them). A lot of these came with celestions on top and EV's in the closed bottom and they are awesome hooked up to a recto. I have one of these and a V30 loaded Marshall and the old Mesa cab is just unstoppable ;-)

Only drawback I can see is the sheer weight of the cab - and for some reason mine does not have casters - nice!

Back