RECTO CAB + Mark IV... WOW!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris_EIT

Reaction score
Ok, I finally tried my Mark IV through a MESA CAB! I've been using a marshall and it FAILS SO HARD!
But here's the weird thing....
Most people here say to go with the traditional cab for the Mark IV... But I disliked it, the Recto Std was like HEAVEN for me! Any reasons why this could be???
To me it just sounded more open and bigger not as squished as it did through the stiletto cab!
Cheers guys

BTW YES I'm going to buy the Mesa cab but at $2300AU I need to save some cahs :(

I couldn't agree more!
I brought my C+ with me at the store, when I decided to buy a mesa cab, I also went from a marshall cab, in my case the JCM 800 lead, with celestions(not the V30's), and the difference is huge. Anyway, the store had both the standard, the traditional as well as the 2x12.
And the standard cab was more punch and boldness, and I have never looked back since.
The cab sounds huge with my mark IV as well as my C+s and triaxis/fifty fifty.
I have to add that I play metal though.

Enjoy your cab when you get it :D

I have the Recto Std 4x12 that I use with my Single Rec and MKIV. The bigger cab takes away some of the tightness of the MKIV which is great :D but I would guess the Traditional cab would tighten up the Recto a bit ? Weird because Petrucci only uses the Traditional 4x12's whatever amp he uses !!?

I went through a similar situation. I prefer my Quad + 50/50 setup with my Roadking cab. I thought the old halfback would pair up better, with it being from the same era and all, but it didn't sound like I thought it would. Now with my Roadking, it sounds godly thought the halfback :twisted: It did everything I wanted it too, tightened and opened up the sound. It's strange how amps nearly 20 years apart sound when you pair cabs up from different eras. Another interesting thing, the RK cab is a modern version of the halfback. I just wish the halfback had the options the RK cab has.

Love my Mark IV / IIC+'s through my recto 2x12. Great chunk. I like adding an EV12L thiele with the V30's though, gives it some clarity back.

Yeh man I play metal too. I think the Mark IV doesn't sound any less tight, just maybe a little less focussed in the frequencies it usually responds too. With the recto cab is sounds more open and lets everything through :)

Honestly, i don't like my recto cab with my Mark III or .50 cal + much at all... never tried a Mark IV though, but it's obviously voiced alot like the Mark III.

V30 loaded cabs are a bit too mid heavy for the voicing of these amps. I've got a Avatar Vintage Cab with a mix of V30's and G12T75's, and it's alot more balanced sounding to me, the T75's are scooped in the mids so it makes it sound more balanced with the midrange heavy V30's.

anyone know which Celestions are in the Kustom cabs?

I played my Mark IV thru our guitarists Kustom cab the other night and I totally hated it. The cab was with the 200 watt Kustom head....forget the model. Compared to my 5150 cab with Sheffields, the Kustom with Celestions sounded like total garbage. Tone was smushed and overdriven sounding. Couldnt get the low end response that I was used to. Crap. He now has a Mesa Dual Recto Solo head with a Mesa Recto cab. I havent tried the Mark IV thru the Mesa cab yet, but I will tonight.

Hey guys!
Just want to share MORE revelations!!!
I just used my Mark IV with a TS in the front...
Wat can I say but WOW! I'm VERY impressed with the sound I've gotten!
Pretty much nailed KSE tone on End of Heartache easy!
I'm very suprised, I can't wait to keep tinkering! I love this freaking amp!!!

Care to share what kind of settings you're using chris . I've been playing around with my 4 and I have some good tones but I'm just not getting it perfect yet. Still turning knobs and not getting anywhere .

Yeh sure dude, my pleasure!
Lead channel
Gain 7 pulled, treble 7, bass 2, mids 4, drive 7 pulled, presence 3.5
volume 3.5 simul class, pentode, tweed power, output 3
GEQ
1st - Just above middle, 2nd - between middle and bottem line, 3rd - just on/ above bottom line, 4th - on middle line, 5th just above middle

OD settings:
drive 0, tone 5, level 7.5

I uploaded my rig settings here:
http://rapidshare.com/files/142467009/AMP_RIG_AND_SETTINGS.doc.html

Latest posts

Back