Recto 2x12 cab vs. Roadster 2x12 cab

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonT

Reaction score
Hey all!

I recently checked out a Roadster head and liked what I heard. I played it through a 2x12 recto cab. I understand that Mesa also has a slightly smaller roadster 2x12 cab. As I understand it, they're both closed back, birch cabs with V30s. I saw the thread here on the road king vs. recto cabs, but can someone give me an idea of the differences in sound between the recto and roadster 2x12s? Much appreciated.

Jason

I dont think there is an actuall roadster cab, far as i Know there is the roadking cab, stiletto cab and recto cab when it comes to the 2x12's.

The difference between the stiletto 2x12 and the recto 2x12 is the recto will have better bass, the stiletto will be more mid range, but trust me the recto 2x12 has plenty, more then a traditional recto cab which i think is a perfect match up for the roadking/roadster/Dual/Triple amps.

JasonT said:
Hey all!

I recently checked out a Roadster head and liked what I heard. I played it through a 2x12 recto cab. I understand that Mesa also has a slightly smaller roadster 2x12 cab. As I understand it, they're both closed back, birch cabs with V30s. I saw the thread here on the road king vs. recto cabs, but can someone give me an idea of the differences in sound between the recto and roadster 2x12s? Much appreciated.

Jason

siggy14 said:
I dont think there is an actuall roadster cab, far as i Know there is the roadking cab, stiletto cab and recto cab when it comes to the 2x12's.

The difference between the stiletto 2x12 and the recto 2x12 is the recto will have better bass, the stiletto will be more mid range, but trust me the recto 2x12 has plenty, more then a traditional recto cab which i think is a perfect match up for the roadking/roadster/Dual/Triple amps.

JasonT said:
Hey all!

Jason

There IS a Roadster cab. Check the site. It's smaller than the Recto cabs and only comes in 1x12 and 2x12 sizes.

Yup, looks like it is just the stiletto cab with black pipping instead of the silver. Odd thing is it is the same dimensions as the stiletto cab, yet it says it weights 2 pounds more. So maybe they are using a peice of wood inside to split the 2 speakers like the roadking cab does, or maybe it is just a mis print, who knows. But in all hindsight it is a stiletto 2x12 with black pipping.

Kaz said:
siggy14 said:

JasonT said:
Hey all!

Jason

There IS a Roadster cab. Check the site. It's smaller than the Recto cabs and only comes in 1x12 and 2x12 sizes.

siggy14 said:
Yup, looks like it is just the stiletto cab with black pipping instead of the silver. Odd thing is it is the same dimensions as the stiletto cab, yet it says it weights 2 pounds more. So maybe they are using a peice of wood inside to split the 2 speakers like the roadking cab does, or maybe it is just a mis print, who knows. But in all hindsight it is a stiletto 2x12 with black pipping.

Kaz said:
siggy14 said:

I've heard it sounds pretty much the same to boot. I hear that they got rid of the traditional recto cab series and rebranded them as the Stiletto cab (have you seen a new traditional since?). I wanted to try the Roadster 212 but didn't get a chance so I wound up with the Recto 212 after getting rid of my MASSIVE RK cab.

i have the roadster cab and have had the recto cab in the past. the best way to put it is that the roadster cab seems voiced to compliment both the cleans of channels 1 and 2 and the high gain of channels 3 and 4 on the roadster. the recto cab has a much bigger feel to it and i feel the 2x12 recto cab sounds somewhat stuffy. the roadster cab has a much more open feel. i've also tried the stiletto cab and while the roadster and stiletto share the same dimensions i found they sounded different. the stiletto was much tighter and focusedm while the roadster while still tight was more open. again this is my experience using my ears so take it for what its worth.

I also have used a Roadster with both cabs - I found the Roadster cab to be a little less bassy and sounds good on all 4 channels. It's also the same size as the closed cab section of the combo, so your getting the Roadster sound just like it was designed, but easier to carry. :)

The recto cab is woofier, looser, the roadster cab is tighter, maybe a little brighter?

I like the roadster cab more. I bet a Recto cab underneath a roadster cab underneath anything would sound really good though.

old "Standard" = new "Rectifier" cab
old "Traditional" = new "Stiletto" cab

the Roadster 2x12 and the Stiletto 2x12 are the same internally. The weight difference comes from the front part of the cab - the outside edges are thicker on the Roadster than the Stiletto.

2x12-STILETTO-FntLG.jpg

Stiletto

2x12RoadsterFNT-LG.jpg

Roadster

Thanks for the responses guys. Good info.

Sounds like most prefer the Roadster cab to the Recto. I had presumed that Mesa wouldn't have made a cab specific to the Roadster unless they felt it was better than their other cab choices for that amp. Having said that, I thought the Recto cab sounded pretty good. I'll have to see if I can find a Roadster cab. Even if I can't, the consensus here seems to be to go with the Roadster cab.

hey:

new guy here, but I thought I would pitch in as I just went through the same decision process.

i tried the Roadster amp with both the Roadster Cab and the Rectifier Cab. As I was trying out the Head for the first time, I played through the Roadster cab at first, through about every 'channel' and setting I could try.

After I was pretty convinced the Head rocked, the salesman had me try the Rectifier Cab. I adjusted the settings a bit and went through the paces again.

After finding the settings I liked with the Rectifier cab, the salesman helped me switch back and forth a few times for a direct comparison.

In my humble opinion, my best description was that the Rectifier cab "breathed" more. It seemed more open, less compressed--esp in the mid/low ranges. The Roadster was tighter, with great clean tones, but to my ears, when the gain and volume were pushed it seemed a that the Rectifier cab had greater clarity and openness with both single note passages and even full chords.

so, there is my .02.

hope that helps.

be sure to try both if you can.

my salesman ran the setup mentioned below for a while, with the Recto 2x12 and the Roadster 2x12 powered by his RoadKing.

For me...I bought the Roadster Head and the Rectifier cab.

JasonT said:
Thanks for the responses guys. Good info.

Sounds like most prefer the Roadster cab to the Recto. I had presumed that Mesa wouldn't have made a cab specific to the Roadster unless they felt it was better than their other cab choices for that amp. Having said that, I thought the Recto cab sounded pretty good. I'll have to see if I can find a Roadster cab. Even if I can't, the consensus here seems to be to go with the Roadster cab.

here's one http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/details.cfm?listId=104724846

Latest posts

Back