Recto 2:100 Power amp trouble. One side louder.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

again with this

Reaction score
Why why why???? Now we know why I chose the monniker I did.

Again with this?

I took the **** thing to Mesa a month or so ago and they replaced a screen resistor. This seemed to help the problem for a while.

Then, last night, I notice the right side of my amp is way too quiet. Like when it's dimed, I have to turn the left channel down to about 1/4 to balance the volume.

What am I doing wrong? Am I blowing the screen resistors? If so, how???

My setup is: guitar>wireless(optional)>Recto Pre>GMajor>Recto 2:100>Recto 4X12 cab run in stereo.

Anybody? Anything?

I have a call in to Mesa. Hopefully, they'll have something for me. I thought I was done with this problem...

Well... I talked to Marcus at the Mother Ship.

He said I should exchange the tubes from side to side to see if the problem stays on the side or follows the tubes.

I won't have an opportunity to do this until tomorrow night. I'll keep you all posted.

Ugh...

again with this said:
Well... I talked to Marcus at the Mother Ship.

He said I should exchange the tubes from side to side to see if the problem stays on the side or follows the tubes.

I won't have an opportunity to do this until tomorrow night. I'll keep you all posted.

Ugh...

just a little advise, maybe you already know that you should exchange the tube in "mirror" (exchange both extremity[each side] and same with the middle (paired vertically). Hope it helped...

Thanks for the tip. But, no offense inteded... what does it matter? The sides split down the middle and the 2:100 uses all the same type of tube. As long as the ones on the left go to the right and vise versa, it should be all good.

Are you thinking of a 2:90 with simul-class perhaps?

again with this said:
Thanks for the tip. But, no offense inteded... what does it matter? The sides split down the middle and the 2:100 uses all the same type of tube. As long as the ones on the left go to the right and vise versa, it should be all good.

If you really wanna compare each side, it's the way matched the tubes at their best: on opposite side(as written on the new mesa tubes boxes: one color on the exterior and another in the interior).

soundpurist said:
again with this said:

If you really wanna compare each side, it's the way matched the tubes at their best: on opposite side(as written on the new mesa tubes boxes: one color on the exterior and another in the interior).

Interesting. All my tubes are the same color rating.

I did the side swap thing. The problem did not follow the tubes. weak

again with this said:
soundpurist said:
again with this said:

Interesting. All my tubes are the same color rating.

Good so no prob.

I too have a problem with my B-channel sounding lower in volum....
Very anoying.......called Mesa...they asked me to contact my vendor.....who says they can't help me....

My pair does the same thing, assuming we're all using a Rec Pre and 2:100. I have them connected so it works with only the Rec Pre volume controlling everything.

What I believe is happening when you cable the 2 together is that the poweramp is at full throttle. The volume knobs no longer control anything and I believe the presence is also disabled. It places control in the Rec Pre 'Output'. This knob is sensitive, because at minimal volumes 1 channel is clearly lower than the other, but when I increase the overall volume to something playable it seems to balance better.

I happen to run this Rec Pre with one output going to an effects unit, stereo split, then more effects, then a separate mosfet poweramp. The other channel splits into the 2:100. Since A/B are going different places I don't really notice the 1 level being higher because it gets balanced with a separate amp/FX level controls.

If you could take 1 side of the Rec Pre output and split that into two, input both into the 2:100 you'd have only one channel of the Rec Pre. This is exactly how I run my dry channel.

The other Rec Pre output is FX, which has a bunch of mixers and controller pedals on it, and a separate amp.

Though 1 and 2 don't put out a balanced out, I measured at about 3-4db, this doesn't mean I can't balance them before going to the amps. With that done, only 1 knob controls the overall volume levels, the 'Output' on the Rec Pre.

But since it's a Rec Pre I've also been hanging around the house with it, and when connected to the recording outs this balance is clear as a bell. The signal strenth coming into the computer is metered, so it's easy to see the 2-3, maybe 4db variation between the two channels. I have to balance this with one of the effects units, cutting or boosting one 2-3db and then they are matched outputs.

Bottom line though, if I could have it repaired I would. My tech is 3 minutes down the road...

Slimjim said:
My pair does the same thing, assuming we're all using a Rec Pre and 2:100. I have them connected so it works with only the Rec Pre volume controlling everything.

What I believe is happening when you cable the 2 together is that the poweramp is at full throttle. The volume knobs no longer control anything and I believe the presence is also disabled. It places control in the Rec Pre 'Output'. This knob is sensitive, because at minimal volumes 1 channel is clearly lower than the other, but when I increase the overall volume to something playable it seems to balance better.

I happen to run this Rec Pre with one output going to an effects unit, stereo split, then more effects, then a separate mosfet poweramp. The other channel splits into the 2:100. Since A/B are going different places I don't really notice the 1 level being higher because it gets balanced with a separate amp/FX level controls.

If you could take 1 side of the Rec Pre output and split that into two, input both into the 2:100 you'd have only one channel of the Rec Pre. This is exactly how I run my dry channel.

The other Rec Pre output is FX, which has a bunch of mixers and controller pedals on it, and a separate amp.

Though 1 and 2 don't put out a balanced out, I measured at about 3-4db, this doesn't mean I can't balance them before going to the amps. With that done, only 1 knob controls the overall volume levels, the 'Output' on the Rec Pre.

But since it's a Rec Pre I've also been hanging around the house with it, and when connected to the recording outs this balance is clear as a bell. The signal strenth coming into the computer is metered, so it's easy to see the 2-3, maybe 4db variation between the two channels. I have to balance this with one of the effects units, cutting or boosting one 2-3db and then they are matched outputs.

Bottom line though, if I could have it repaired I would. My tech is 3 minutes down the road...

Well...

Here's the scoop:

Long story short. They told me the main output pot on the pre is a dual whatever because of the stereo (dual) output and the whatevers don't always line up inside the pot.

The official cure? turn up. Okay, that's over simplified. Actually run the output higher and turn down the volume on the power amp.

I prefer to run the pre into the non-recto inputs on the 2:100 so the controls on the 2:100 remain active.

It was an interesting trip to the factory. It was awesome being there. It sucked to have to drag all my gear there to show them what I was talking about.

Latest posts

Back