Rectifier with celestion G12K-100 speakers

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdurso

Reaction score
Anyone playing a rectifier (DR/TR/Roadster/RK) through a cab with eitther 4 celestion G12K-100 or a combo of v30s and G12K-100s? I read the specs on the speakers but haven't found a cab outside a diezel that has G12K-100s.... and the idea of combining a 2 v30s with 2 G12K-100s in a X configuration is kind of interesting.... but i don't know of any cabinets like that. Any thoughts?

I'm using a Marshall MF400A cab that is loaded with 4 Celestion G12K-100 speakers. It sounds pretty good with my Roadster but I'd love to check out a set of V30's and see what they are like.

Ciao ...

jdurso said:
Anyone playing a rectifier (DR/TR/Roadster/RK) through a cab with eitther 4 celestion G12K-100 or a combo of v30s and G12K-100s? I read the specs on the speakers but haven't found a cab outside a diezel that has G12K-100s.... and the idea of combining a 2 v30s with 2 G12K-100s in a X configuration is kind of interesting.... but i don't know of any cabinets like that. Any thoughts?

Orange makes one that uses the G12K-100s, too.

I have an '80s Peavey cab with the G12K-85s in it, and I love them with my Triple - they're sonically very close to the C90s, but a tad brighter. Very smooth, and they handle the low end very well.

Yeah I saw the MF400 had the 100s in it but haven't found one in Nj that I could go demo. I would love it if mesa would try something like Diamond cabinets, combining v30s with other speakers in an X configuration. Any opinions on cabs by other makers than mesa in terms of the quality of the cabinet box? I'd love to find a cab that is unloaded that is built like a mesa or orange, so i could try that speaker combo myself but all i can find right now is gutted peaveys and marshalls and i'm not a big fan of the constuction of marshall cabs.

jdurso said:
Yeah I saw the MF400 had the 100s in it but haven't found one in Nj that I could go demo. I would love it if mesa would try something like Diamond cabinets, combining v30s with other speakers in an X configuration. Any opinions on cabs by other makers than mesa in terms of the quality of the cabinet box? I'd love to find a cab that is unloaded that is built like a mesa or orange, so i could try that speaker combo myself but all i can find right now is gutted peaveys and marshalls and i'm not a big fan of the constuction of marshall cabs.

Our other guitarist was borrowing a Bogner with two v30s and two 75s in it before his Mesa cab came in, and it was a great sounding (and very well-made) cab.

Vader has a good rep for quality. I don't know of anyone making unloaded cabs that are built as well as Mesa's are, though I'm admittedly not too well versed in that area...

eaeolian said:
jdurso said:

Orange makes one that uses the G12K-100s, too.

I have an '80s Peavey cab with the G12K-85s in it, and I love them with my Triple - they're sonically very close to the C90s, but a tad brighter. Very smooth, and they handle the low end very well.

Do you know what model that peavey was? i found a guy locally selling 2 peavey 4x12s (one is an 1988 i believe and the other is a 1990) for 500.... caught my interest.... so that cab really sounds good with a rectifier??

jdurso said:
Do you know what model that peavey was? i found a guy locally selling 2 peavey 4x12s (one is an 1988 i believe and the other is a 1990) for 500.... caught my interest.... so that cab really sounds good with a rectifier??

Yeah, it's a 412MS. I think all their cabs until 1991-92 or so had either the Peavey Scorpions or the Celestion G12K-85s in them. I love the cab (I bought it new with a Peavey "Butcher" head in 1987), and I think it sounds really nice with the Recto - very similar to the "standard" cab with C90s.

one thing im concerned with is with flubbiness.... i have a basson 2x12 with eminence legends and the thing is super tight..... i want something that will compliment it but won't "fart" like a marshall cab. how would you compare the cabs construction to a mesa?

jdurso said:
one thing im concerned with is with flubbiness.... i have a basson 2x12 with eminence legends and the thing is super tight..... i want something that will compliment it but won't "fart" like a marshall cab. how would you compare the cabs construction to a mesa?

My cab is a friggin' tank. One of the reason I kept using it was that it was SO much better built than the Marshalls practically everyone else was using. The Peavey cabs today are, comparatively, a joke. Mine's 20 years old, and the tolex is ripped, but the cab has seen gigs for years and has no flex in it. I wouldn't say it's quite Mesa quality - what is? - but it's still very solid.

I will say that the original wiring wasn't what I'd call spectacular, but that's easy to fix.

Latest posts

Back