Rectifier w/ EL34's vs Stiletto

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bag

Reaction score
I played a Stilletto for the first time awhile ago and loved the sound... it was so much better than my Dual Rec. I noticed that the Stiletto is an el34 amp. I was wondering what kind of differences or similarities could I expect if I put el34's in my Dual Rec.

Well the fist thing that you would notice is the high "Buzzy" fizz is easier to dial out, and the bass will tighten up. As far as the the Stiletto, it can get pretty close, on ch.2 Modern with the right amount of tweaking (The Recto). One thing I found is that the Stilettos are a bright amp, and the Recto doesn't seem to have that EQ bandwidth. I Love my Dual with the right EL34's in, but right now I need to use the clean channel so it's back to 6L6's for the time being.

fishyfishfish said:
Well the fist thing that you would notice is the high "Buzzy" fizz is easier to dial out, and the bass will tighten up. As far as the the Stiletto, it can get pretty close, on ch.2 Modern with the right amount of tweaking (The Recto). One thing I found is that the Stilettos are a bright amp, and the Recto doesn't seem to have that EQ bandwidth. I Love my Dual with the right EL34's in, but right now I need to use the clean channel so it's back to 6L6's for the time being.

Hmm, I always thought them 6L6s yielded a tighter low end than the EL34s... :?

I ain't gonna be a stiletto...

With EL-34s in your Recto, It will bring the bass response up a little higher, and bring the high end response down a little. As a stand alone amp, the recto will ALWAYS lack the fluidity of the Stiletto....with a boost, you get close.

They are very difference circuits.

KH Guitar Freak said:
fishyfishfish said:

Hmm, I always thought them 6L6s yielded a tighter low end than the EL34s... :?

that's exactly my experience too. the low end response of 6L6 vs EL34 made me go back to 6L6.

Yeah, you get more low end with 6L6s, but the low end is tighter with EL34s.

Honestly, who needs all that low end? You don't hear the low end in a live setting anyway, and you just end up getting lost in the mix.

I prefer JJ E34Ls in my Recto. Sure, it's not a Stiletto, but it's closer.

el34's tighten the low end up nicely and add some great crunch, too much of that low and your lost in the mix, useless

Not to highjack, but I thought this might be related. I have an Ibanez SZ720fm with Duncan Blackouts and am having a real hard time dialing in channel 3. I realize the presence is different from channel 2, but man I just cant seem to dial in anything that sounds good. The cab is a Peavey Triple XXX 4x12. I know it's not a Mesa cab, but its decent enough.

I like a rounder, warmer sound then the razor-sharp high end channel 3 has. I ordered a set of EL34's and am hoping they are closer to what I am looking for than the stock 6L6's. Any thoughts?

I do. But the gain structure seems to sound a little different in Channel 3. Maybe I will just order the Pot from Mesa and make 2 and 3 the same. Like the manual says. I dunno.

Back