Rectifier vs. Stiletto 4x12 - Traditional vs. Standard HELP

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RalfT85

Reaction score
Guys, I know this might have been discussed on the board before, but searching the board did not help me...

I currently play through a Mesa Stiletto (now traditional) 4x12 Slant cabinet. But I always wanted a Straight one...Now I have the chance to purchase a nearly new Rectifier 4x12 Straight cabinet.
I listened to a video by HaggertysMusic and those samples pretty convinced me that the Rectifier cabinet sounds better to my ears compared to the Stiletto cabinet. I play stuff like Creed, Alter Bridge...Heavy Mark Tremonti stuff:)

My Amps are a Dual Rec and a Mini Rec.

So because I don't have the chance to test the cabinet I wanted to ask the board if there are people here that did the switch or had a chance to compared those two cabinets side by side. Do you agree?

Would you switch concerning my music style...

How would you describe the differences? (I did read the descriptions on the Mesa page:))

Any recommendations for studio/live sounds? Experiences?

I personally think the Stiletto sounds a bit muffled in Clean/Viintage mode on the Rectifier compared to the Rectifier cabinet in that video...

Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f22Nsx6pHp8

Thanks

I have both a stiletto slant and oversized straight, depending on my mood will determine which cabinet I use, for the last year it has been the oversized.

For the style of music you are playing I say go for the rectifier oversized, just make sure you get it for a good price if you want to flip it later.

RalfT85 said:
Guys, I know this might have been discussed on the board before, but searching the board did not help me...

I currently play through a Mesa Stiletto (now traditional) 4x12 Slant cabinet. But I always wanted a Straight one...Now I have the chance to purchase a nearly new Rectifier 4x12 Straight cabinet.
I listened to a video by HaggertysMusic and those samples pretty convinced me that the Rectifier cabinet sounds better to my ears compared to the Stiletto cabinet. I play stuff like Creed, Alter Bridge...Heavy Mark Tremonti stuff:)

My Amps are a Dual Rec and a Mini Rec.

So because I don't have the chance to test the cabinet I wanted to ask the board if there are people here that did the switch or had a chance to compared those two cabinets side by side. Do you agree?

Would you switch concerning my music style...

How would you describe the differences? (I did read the descriptions on the Mesa page:))

Any recommendations for studio/live sounds? Experiences?

I personally think the Stiletto sounds a bit muffled in Clean/Viintage mode on the Rectifier compared to the Rectifier cabinet in that video...

Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f22Nsx6pHp8

Thanks

The oversized one has more and looser low end, and also a slightly more midscoop to the overall tone...

I wouldnt say looser, can get flubby due to it has more bass response
KH Guitar Freak said:
The oversized one has more and looser low end, and also a slightly more midscoop to the overall tone...

I have had the oversized 2x12 Rectifier cabinet for around ten years. I bought a new Standard (Oversized) 4x12 Rectifier slant cabinet around 6 months ago and traded it back in for a Traditional slant cabinet a few months after getting it. I agree with the guys who say the Standard has a much more pronounced loose bottom end and scooped mids. I find the Traditional to have a much tighter bottom end and more mids present. For the Creed/Tremonti stuff I would say go for the Standard. I saw Creed live a few months ago and Tremonti was playing through the Standard Straight Rectifier cabinets...sure you know that though.

When playing live I had to turn the bass way down (I have a Single Rec) to dial it down when I had the Standard. At home, I loved the bass I could get out of it though. For our band, the Traditional works better and I find it cuts throught the mix better. We cover everything from Tool, old Pearl Jam, to 311 and Sublime. I mainly have channel 1 set to clean and 2 to modern. I do agree with you that the Traditional sounds muffled on Haggerty's video. Hope this helps.....

In spring of 2009 I was looking at purchasing my Roadster. The music store had it plugged into a Standard Recto cab, and I thought it sounded great. The employee helping me said "hang on a second, try this Traditional cab. I like the way these sound better with a Recto." I played on that cab for awhile and decided I MUCH preffered it over the Standard cab. Less overwhelming bass (the Roadster will never be short on bass) and I liked the sound of the midrange better. The Standard is definitely more scooped, but I feel that if I ever desire those sounds, I can just put the Roadster in Modern and scoop some mids from the EQ. Every time I have played live with that setup (Roadster and Traditional), I got complimented on my tone, and I always thought it sounded perfect with that band.

I say all that to say, unless you're wanting to gig a full stack, having two different cabs just offers more sonic possibilities. The only downside to getting another 412 (that I can think of) is trying to sell it if you don't like it.

Latest posts

Back