Rectifier tube.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had grief with mine in my old combo. It was one of the issues with its lemontasticness.
It was linked to power outage problems, if memory serves...been a while.

My head that I got since has been 100% good as gold though.

I've had a number of amps run on tube rectification. Never had to change the rectifier on one. The longest I kept an amp was 10 years or so, with regular use

had 5AR4 go out twice in 5 years(1999-2004). took mains fuse with it both times. was chinese made. replaced with NOS GE in 2004. still going strong.

Chester said:
I've had a number of amps run on tube rectification. Never had to change the rectifier on one. The longest I kept an amp was 10 years or so, with regular use

No sooner had I posted this than a 5AR4 failed in my Matchless Indy. Playing normally, then the sound faded away to zero in about 3 seconds. Didn't blow the fuse though

Took me a while to work out what was going on as I had not experienced this before. Took the back panel off the amp so I could watch the valves when it failed again, and saw the rectifier slowly turned it's lights off after about 5 minutes of use

Live and learn ..

The rectifier tube in my MV went out after about 3-4 months. It was still under warranty, of course, so they sent me a new one right away. It took the fuse with it when it went, too.

Funny thing, my band mate has a Vox AC30, and the rectifier went out on his amp shortly after mine. I got to thinking there could be something irregular in the mains--eating rectifiers.

Latest posts

Back