Rectifier Recording Preamp Question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wyntyr

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I picked up a Recto Recording Preamp recently and since it was a second hand one of the first things I did was retube it, as I do with all second hand tube based purchases. However, on the stock Mesa tubes the preamp voicing switch (live bright, warm record) made a huge impact on the tone, however with the new JJ's it doesnt seem to make any! I dont have the stock tubes anymore to check this but I was wondering if anyone would know if a tube change could do this, or does this sound more like the switch is broken?

I reckon you should still be able to tell the difference. Try using the record out to a desk and see if you can hear the difference. The JJs are probably a bit darker but.....

Cheers man, went out to the desk and I can hear a difference through my monitors. Its not a huge difference mind but its definitely there :)

I like the JJ's a lot, I find they provide a thicker more defined distortion than the stock Mesa tubes with a nice tight low end.

Any chance that you'd post a sound sample of the crunch side of that Recording Pre? I'm trying to hear it but nobody seems to have any laying around and they're ignoring my pitiful pleas for advice!! :)

I would but I sold mine. I might have a pre-mix somewhere but it would of been average quality. As far as gain tones, these things are great.

I'm looking forward to hearing one. Hopefully I'll patiently wait getting ahold of one off of Ebay or something . . . I don't even know what they cost right now, but I've already got a 94 Dual Rect, a 2x12 and a 4x12 cab and a Lone Star Special already, so I feel like sooner or later, I'm actually NOT gonna pay full price for a Mesa product!!! ha ha ha

Thanks for responding . . . I am enjoying all the information on this board.

-J

Latest posts

Back