Rectifier for Lonestar 5U4GB or 5U4G

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Janglin_Jack

Reaction score
My rectifier died on me so I need to get a new one. What is the difference between a 5U4GB and the 5U4G. Does one have more sag than the other? Looking to use it in my Lonestar.

Jack

The 5u4gb's voltage drop is just a tad bit more than the big bottle 5u4g. You can pick up a nice NOS Philips 5u4gb for around $20.

Dale

The GB version is stock. It sounds like the G has more voltage. I found it interesting that Mesa makes a GZ34 but does not use that in any of their amps. Maybe just for that reason, not enough sag, so they went with the 5U4GB.

My local store has a 5U4GB so I bought that. I still may seek out a 5U4G just to hear.

Jack

Janglin_Jack said:
The GB version is stock. It sounds like the G has more voltage. I found it interesting that Mesa makes a GZ34 but does not use that in any of their amps. Maybe just for that reason, not enough sag, so they went with the 5U4GB.

My local store has a 5U4GB so I bought that. I still may seek out a 5U4G just to hear.

Jack

Mesa used GZ34's in the Heartbreaker.

Latest posts

Back