Rectifier Experiment

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clutch71

Reaction score
I was reading this post...

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=19593

...and made the following reply to Elpelotero...

Elpelotero said:
clutch71 said:
Clips man clips. We need clips for comparison!

lmao! no beating around the bush!

This is the first documented E that I can recall. The thing to do is to get a C, D, E, F, G, Ractifier, Tremoverb, 3 CH, Roadster and Roadking togehter in one spot. Create controls by using the same Mesa tubes
(power, rectifier, and preamps), guitar, cab, and cables. Record the session using suggested settings from the Mesa maunuals and record it using proper sound equipment (with no post eqing or effects) and post the clips in the rigs and tone section...And then in the next portion of my dream I was naked, on a pyramid and the natives were throwing pickels at me...

Instead of Hi Jacking les_paul_gold_top here's my thoughts...
Initially logistics were the biggest hurdle. The more I got to thinking about it, the more I realized I may be able to provide some support for this experiment. I can provide the Auditorium and Rev G. I may be able to track down a Rev C, F, Tremoverb (Slingblade you game?) and Roadster locally. I'll make some phone calls today and see what shakes loose.

Make no mistake the purpose of this is not to generate further debate. It's simply an attempt to scientifically record and compare the Mesa series I've come to know and enjoy. Anyone close to Cowlumbus and interested let me know.

Updates pending...

You'll also be using the same pre-amplifier, the same microphone in the EXACT same postion on the same cabinet??? :?

There are many variables here... could be a very difficult undertaking.

clutch71 said:
I was reading this post...

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=19593

...and made the following reply to Elpelotero...

Elpelotero said:
clutch71 said:
Clips man clips. We need clips for comparison!

lmao! no beating around the bush!

This is the first documented E that I can recall. The thing to do is to get a C, D, E, F, G, Ractifier, Tremoverb, 3 CH, Roadster and Roadking togehter in one spot. Create controls by using the same Mesa tubes
(power, rectifier, and preamps), guitar, cab, and cables. Record the session using suggested settings from the Mesa maunuals and record it using proper sound equipment (with no post eqing or effects) and post the clips in the rigs and tone section...And then in the next portion of my dream I was naked, on a pyramid and the natives were throwing pickels at me...

Instead of Hi Jacking les_paul_gold_top here's my thoughts...
Initially logistics were the biggest hurdle. The more I got to thinking about it, the more I realized I may be able to provide some support for this experiment. I can provide the Auditorium and Rev G. I may be able to track down a Rev C, F, Tremoverb (Slingblade you game?) and Roadster locally. I'll make some phone calls today and see what shakes loose.

Make no mistake the purpose of this is not to generate further debate. It's simply an attempt to scientifically record and compare the Mesa series I've come to know and enjoy. Anyone close to Cowlumbus and interested let me know.

Updates pending...

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Either that or they went down to a nearby creek.... :D

I have access to C and D...this Spring I will have a small recording rig almost permanently set up at home. If I could get my hands on some other revisions, I'd do it. Does anybody here ever visit Florida?

Elpelotero said:
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Either that or they went down to a nearby creek.... :D

Real genius reference.

But honestly I think the only people that would benefit would be the people there. so much of an amp is how it reacts to your playing it. I think you would need to youtube it.

cellardweller said:
You'll also be using the same pre-amplifier, the same microphone in the EXACT same postion on the same cabinet??? :?

There are many variables here... could be a very difficult undertaking.

That's the purpose of the controls. Same cab, same cables, same tubes (and by same, I mean swap out tubes for each recording from one head to the next) same guitar, and same guitar player.

Recording is not my forte but I think I have someone to assist. With using the same cab I would assume that unless you bump the mike, swapping heads wouldn't effect mike placement. I can always measure the distance.

Remember this is all in the name of fun and may take a while to put together.

I'd also suggest recording your guitar (s) DI and then using something like the Radial Xamp for reamping. This would provide an exact signal source as well.

Johnson said:
How far is columbus from Baltimore?

Mapquest says...

Total Est. Time: 6 hours, 46 minutes
Total Est. Distance: 421.28 miles

I used to drive to Rockville in about 6 hours so that sounds about right.

Thats a little bit of a hike for me :lol: but if you decide to have it in Rockville, I'll Bring the Rev D 8)

Gear-Monkey said:
I'm in Michigan. Do you have a source to make quality recordings?

I have a place to turn them loose and a couple of buddies local that have recording experience. What their level of equipment is I don't know.

I've been so busy at work and with the kids I haven't had time to talk to folks with the TOV, Rev F, Rev C, or Roadster.

More to follow...

clutch71 said:
Gear-Monkey said:
I'm in Michigan. Do you have a source to make quality recordings?

I have a place to turn them loose and a couple of buddies local that have recording experience. What their level of equipment is I don't know.

I've been so busy at work and with the kids I haven't had time to talk to folks with the TOV, Rev F, Rev C, or Roadster.

More to follow...

Is the Rev F that you have access to a pre500 tranny or newer model?

Having played/recorded/serviced/owned/modded half of the Recto versions, I can tell you in advanced that unless fully cranked even the "expert" will really find it difficult to differentiate between the revisions :wink: good luck :D

jvk said:
Having played/recorded/serviced/owned/modded half of the Recto versions, I can tell you in advanced that unless fully cranked even the "expert" will really find it difficult to differentiate between the revisions :wink: good luck :D

I completely disagree with this statement. I can notice HUGE difference between Rev C, F, G two channels. And all three sound different than 3 channels.

Back