Dual Rectifiers: Early Revisions on Record?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been following this thread and El Pelotero and I have discussed this on here and over beers at the Ale house. BadMotorFinger was released in Oct 8th, 1991. So with recording, mixing, final production and release, I think Rectos were not used on BMF. I know Kim was partial to Peavey VTX-120's and Marshall.

If the date is accurate this is from LA in 1991
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZaglHQOgt8&feature=related
You can clearly see the VTX.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJWpRmreA8I
Note: Dated 07/22/1992 and but Mesa 4x12's. No visible heads. So Mesa was on their radar.

Good discussion.

I've been following this thread. El Pelotero and I have discussed this on here and over beers at the Ale house. BadMotorFinger was released in Oct 8th, 1991. So with recording, mixing, final production and release, I think Rectos were not used on BMF. I know Kim was partial to Peavey VTX-120's and Marshall. I have read articles where Kim and Chris have talked about Rectos but I do not think they recorded with one until Superunknown. Could it have been an early revision? Maybe.

If the date is accurate this is from LA in 1991
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZaglHQOgt8&feature=related
You can clearly see the VTX.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJWpRmreA8I
Note: Dated 07/22/1992 and but Mesa 4x12's. No visible heads. So Mesa was on their radar.

Edit: Found this
http://web.stargate.net/soundgarden/images/ccair.jpg

This isn't conclusive and what they play live doesn't mean that's what they recorded them with.

Edit: I just noticed in Silvewulf's first post, he was refering to Superunknown not BadMotorFinger. MY bad, man. But the second video I posted would have put them in the early F range.

but after typing that I found this (if believed dated) from 4/94
http://web.stargate.net/soundgarden/images/gui0494b.jpg

The first video was when they headlined on the BadMotorFinger tour and the second one is from GnR Use your Illusion tour as an opening act. Ironically enough I saw both shows. Regardless of what Kim was playing, his tone was awesome. Not an amp head at that point, and most likely to many beers in my system, I really couldn't say what they were playing at either show. I do remember the cabs on the BMF were Marshall.

Silverwulf said:
One cool little fact though is that one of Kirk's hot rodded Marshall's is actually modded by Larry Grohman, not Jose.
Larry, the guy who makes the amps Jon Schaffer from Iced Earth uses. Most people assume they were all Jose mods. Kirk bought it directly
from Larry when they were in Germany on the Black Album tour.
Yep, that's correct and has been in Nov. 1992 in the location Frankenhalle in Nuremberg.

Just after the sound check I came with this amp on my shoulders to the stage manager (Zakk Harman) and actually asked for James Hetfield.
But he first checked the amp by himself for a while and simply was blown away. Then he tried to find James, couldn't find him nowhere and
came back together with Kirk. Kirk watched me mistrustful and I think that I even couldt read his thoughts in his eyes, about like: "Ah-ha!
Again one of those, who think that they can build convincingly sounding amps..." He plugged his guitar in and played only about two minutes,
closed the volume and only asked me two words: "How much?" 20 minutes later I've had my money, my VIP backstage pass and still 5 free
tickets for the anyway sold out night show (which I still have) :D

Btw: Hello everybody! My first post here. Just found this forum & topic by browsing in the web.

Btw 2: The Amp actually wasn't just a "modded" Marshall, as usually done by Jose, Diaz, Arrendondo, aso. at that time - it was a completely
rebuilt '68 Marshall SLP with 3 channels (Plexi, Crunch & Heavy), an effects loop and custom made front & back panels. The vinyl I've peeled
off the head cab before and simply painted it black - nothig inside the chassis was remaining from the original amp's circuit. It's rather been
kind-a 1-st version of my DINO circuits (my 1-st DINO amp was introduced in Jan. 1992) Check here:

dino.jm.701.12.jpg

dino.jm.701.13.jpg

dino.jm.701.14.jpg

dino.jm.701.11.jpg

Larry

Awesome to see you here Larry! For those who don't know, Larry is an awesome guy that really knows his stuff about amps. I was discussing this Kirk amp with him a few years back. Very cool to see some pics.

It will be great to have an amp builder around to solve some of these petty debates about how circuitry operates. i.e. "the role of 'P1' in the cranked amp sound of a 3 channel Dual or Triple rectifier" or even how much the power section of a cascading gain preamp amplifier affects tone. Man we love to debate this crap!

I'm also excited to pick brains in regards to how amps work.

Larry, I saw a bit of a 'hot behind the collar' response to some guy spouting his mouth off in another thread. While this guy's comments were pretty mild, everyone talks smack on the internet, mainly because they feel very secure behind a computer monitor where no one can punch any of them in the head for their collective stupidity. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. Just check out youtube, for instance. What a cesspool of idiots and dicks hang out in that place. I mean you post a clip of any amp and you have a horde of teenagers knocking any number of attributes. Furthermore, I have noticed an interesting correlation between level of musicianship and amount of flame the person attracts. Funny as it may seem, the better a player is, the more people knock him (funny how it is mostly 'hims' who play electric guitar) for being a terrible musician. Perhaps a force known as 'penis envy' is at work here? If not, perhaps people just try to piss off others to get an angry response.

I know what it is like being creative, I am a composer and people are often willing to offer their unsolicited comments/ advice about my work. While some listeners can be anal, I have found other composers to be the most ungracious critics and pickiest connoisseurs I have ever had to deal with. Guitarists, by comparison are even more bitchy. No one can really tell if a Mark IV is being tempermental save for another guitarist. In fact, the general public can be assed to even tell the difference between tube and solid state! In spite of this, we nit pick over every frequency and swap out tube after tube, speaker after speaker, and keep swapping pickups in search of that elusive sound we hear in our head. We swear by one piece of gear and swear at another. The problem is that I bet every amp builder, guitar builder, and loudspeaker builder each feel that he or she (Mostly he's) has found THAT sound and is convinced of his work. Basically, if you do something great, there will be people who will rip on it. Whatever the reason for the flames, it doesn't pay off to get defensive or react in a strong way. Best off to just move on and ignore the imbeciles!

Back