Rectifier 2X12 or Road King 2X12 for Mark ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven Latch

Reaction score
I am thinking of getting either a Rectifier 2X12 or a Roadking 2X12 for a Mark V

After checking Haggerty's music comparison of both, I lean towards the rectifier for the high gain sounds, which are really important to me. In this context, both speakers at the same don't do it for me as it seems to make the sound mushier

However, the C90 with the open back really makes the clean sounds come alive.

I know the 2X12 rectifier is a sure match even if the cleans and light crunches will be a little flatter than with an open back

Another option is to get the 2X12 road king and a Radial Cabbone so as to switch between the speakers according to the amp channel. That would be the best of both worlds as I would use the C90 open back for cleans and the V30 for overdrive.

What I am not sure about is what would be the loss of projection / spread when using a single V30 for high gain sounds, compared to the 2X12 rectifier. Also, I don't know how the cab is constructed internally. If each speaker is isolated from the other, each speaker is contained in a small "sub" cab with less room to breathe, which would affect the sound and make it more boxy.

Well... very curious to have the feedback from people who have experience with this speaker and have ideally compared both!

Thanks in advance

Still trying to find information but without any results so far.

Quite tempted to go for the 2X12 road king but I would really like to have feedback from someone who could tell me if when using the closed back V30 on its own, it sounds as good as the regular 2X12 rectifier.

Hope someone will be able to help!

Steven Latch said:
Still trying to find information but without any results so far.

Quite tempted to go for the 2X12 road king but I would really like to have feedback from someone who could tell me if when using the closed back V30 on its own, it sounds as good as the regular 2X12 rectifier.

Hope someone will be able to help!
well this may or may not help you BUT after owning my mkV combo for 2 months now i finally hooked it up to my 4x12 recto straight slant cab
and all i can say is wow,some say they dont care for the v 30 but i think it is a good match to the markV..the c90 in the combo sounds ok but the cab just blows it out of the water
i was going to get a 1x12 ext.cab but now im getting a 2x12 rectifier vertical cab,,,i think the sound will be as "big" but without the massive volume...
just my opinions,,,let us know what u decide...and your clean sounds will definately not suffer one bit..

I have a Recto 2x12 and a 3/4 back 2x12 with C90s in it, and I have come to like the Recto cab better for both clean and dirty stuff. This is probably because it's the cab I use the most, so I'm used to the way it sounds and have everything dialed in to work with it.

The little bit of a boost the clean channel would receive from the open back side isn't worth the compromise of using a single V30 on the high gain channels.

Thanks all for the inputs!

There seems to be quite a lot of people out there not bothering about the "closed vs open back and different speakers" thing for their mark V and getting great sounds and fun out of them. Thinking about it, I saw Petrucci live a couple of months ago and I didn't think "wow, his clean sounds suck, if only he used a an open back cab with another speaker than V30"s.

Also, to come back to screamingdaisy's point:

The little bit of a boost the clean channel would receive from the open back side isn't worth the compromise of using a single V30 on the high gain channels.

My friend, you have the art of hitting the nail on the head! Without the possibility to try the cabs locally, I am also leaning more and more towards the regular V30. There are really chances that a single V30 isolated in half of the cab won't breathe as well as two V30's sharing all the capacity of the cab.

I loved the clean channel of the MKV with the C90 and the combo, but that was the only channel. I have a Roadster combo that I would run the MKV through, and that was an improvement but I thought it was still lacking. No complaints for the Roadster running through the Roadster 2x12 though. I know the rectifier 2x12 is different than the roadster 2x12 so I wouldn't base much on my results.

I now run WGS speakers in a PortCity 2x12 OS (vet30 and et65 mix) with my MKV. This is a closed back ported cab. I don't know if it is the cab, the speakers, or the combination to give credit too. The combination is very 3D. The cleans are very detailed, and the high gain is brutal. I couldn't be happier. I took a gamble, ordering both the cab and the speakers with out trying, but I was lucky enough to be able to get really good deals on the classified section of the board for both.

Good luck!

Steven Latch said:
My friend, you have the art of hitting the nail on the head! Without the possibility to try the cabs locally, I am also leaning more and more towards the regular V30. There are really chances that a single V30 isolated in half of the cab won't breathe as well as two V30's sharing all the capacity of the cab.

It's not so much the breathing as it is hearing distortion off a single source. Two speakers thicken the sound, which I find pretty important with distortion.

I llike V30s for clean sounds. The C90s are brighter, clearer and can give a little more sparkle to the cleans while V30s are less bright and much warmer sounding. No sparkle but more buttery

I owned both cabs at the same time with the Mark V, I easily preferred the Road King cab, and I played in channel 3 Extreme mode a majority of the time. I felt the recto 2x12 was a little on the harsher side in comparison. I never had issues with muddy lows, the Mark V is super tight, especially when dialed in correctly, mud was the last thing I was worried about. The RK cab was overall more balance and full.

I'm kind of in the same boat as the original poster - I'm trying to determine whether I should get a 2x12 Rectifier or 2x12 Roadking Cab for my Mark V.

I actually have owned both cabinets with my Mark V - I had a 4x12 roadking for a few weeks about a year ago and now I currently have a 2x12 Rectifier that I have only messed with for a few days. So I do have my own thoughts on what cabinet I like – I prefer the roadking (see reasons below).

I still have some time to return the rectifier cab if I am not satisfied with it. My concern is that I see lots of people on here who love the rectifier cab and I just want to make sure that I’m not missing something if I return it.

To me the rectifier sounds thin. The road king with the C90 in the mix just sounds more diverse and it’s a fuller sound that is composed of highs and lows. I feel like the rectifier has a narrowed, compressed sound that is only on one level.

Back when I had the road king 4x12, I liked how the two c90s sounded alone, and I liked how all four speakers sounded together, but I wasn’t really crazy on how the two V30s sounded alone. I could get pinched harmonics to squeal better with the c90s than with the V30s, which seems to contradict other reports that I’ve read.

So I guess that I’m wondering if I don’t have my controls set properly with the V30s? I’m just playing with the recommended settings given in the users manual and tweaking a little bit thus far. Or is my taste just different from other peoples?

Next question. Is there really a big advantage to having two speakers if you only mic one of them when playing live? I see people say that two V30s sound much better than one alone – does it really matter if it is miced and coming out through the mix anyway?

Thanks for the help.

Treillw said:
I'm kind of in the same boat as the original poster - I'm trying to determine whether I should get a 2x12 Rectifier or 2x12 Roadking Cab for my Mark V.

I actually have owned both cabinets with my Mark V - I had a 4x12 roadking for a few weeks about a year ago and now I currently have a 2x12 Rectifier that I have only messed with for a few days. So I do have my own thoughts on what cabinet I like – I prefer the roadking (see reasons below).

I still have some time to return the rectifier cab if I am not satisfied with it. My concern is that I see lots of people on here who love the rectifier cab and I just want to make sure that I’m not missing something if I return it.

To me the rectifier sounds thin. The road king with the C90 in the mix just sounds more diverse and it’s a fuller sound that is composed of highs and lows. I feel like the rectifier has a narrowed, compressed sound that is only on one level.

Back when I had the road king 4x12, I liked how the two c90s sounded alone, and I liked how all four speakers sounded together, but I wasn’t really crazy on how the two V30s sounded alone. I could get pinched harmonics to squeal better with the c90s than with the V30s, which seems to contradict other reports that I’ve read.

So I guess that I’m wondering if I don’t have my controls set properly with the V30s? I’m just playing with the recommended settings given in the users manual and tweaking a little bit thus far. Or is my taste just different from other peoples?

Next question. Is there really a big advantage to having two speakers if you only mic one of them when playing live? I see people say that two V30s sound much better than one alone – does it really matter if it is miced and coming out through the mix anyway?

Thanks for the help.
i would suggest to give the 2x12 rec a chance..try tweaking different settings with the eq on and off.....guitar woods and pickups and strings all have to do with how the mkv sounds and you can taylor this amp for any guitar anyone is playing
to update my post from 4 months ago,,i went with a 2x12 horizontal recto cab as opposed to the vertical,,,,i took the wheels off the cab and this thing sounds awesome..no thin tone whatsoever..just brutal crunch(if that is what u like :twisted: )
2 speakers for me at least sound better than one,,,,gives a much fuller and detailed tone.....and you can feel it in your gut.. :wink:
as per screamingdaisy

mesa metal said:
i would suggest to give the 2x12 rec a chance..try tweaking different settings with the eq on and off.....guitar woods and pickups and strings all have to do with how the mkv sounds and you can taylor this amp for any guitar anyone is playing
to update my post from 4 months ago,,i went with a 2x12 horizontal recto cab as opposed to the vertical,,,,i took the wheels off the cab and this thing sounds awesome..no thin tone whatsoever..just brutal crunch(if that is what u like :twisted: )
2 speakers for me at least sound better than one,,,,gives a much fuller and detailed tone.....and you can feel it in your gut.. :wink:
as per screamingdaisy

Just out of curiosity, what are your three favorite bands? I assume you prefer/have your stuff setup for a similar tone. The v30s are growing on me for channel 3. I still haven something messed up with channel 2 though - need to work on that tonight.

Treillw said:
mesa metal said:
as per screamingdaisy

Just out of curiosity, what are your three favorite bands? I assume you prefer/have your stuff setup for a similar tone. The v30s are growing on me for channel 3. I still haven something messed up with channel 2 though - need to work on that tonight.
to be honest my favorite bands can change from week to week......i do like the heavy death metal sometimes(bloodbath.martriden.draconian.etc.)
then i tend to listen to all technical metal(opeth...tony macalpine,petrucci...stratovarius)i also love female fronted metal bands from europe..and the netherlands

for a while i was posting my fave.bands of the week in my sig..at the bottom........lately i have been listening to a lot of progressive metal,,,,some of the best music ive heard in awhile...very technical and heavy at the same time and the lead work is just brilliant'(i have it on right now as i write this.......www.powerprogradio.net)
as for channel 2...i too have a dilema with how i want it to sound....i think that channel need a slightly higher gain tube to bring out is potential...
right now i have all NOS tubes in my mkv and it sounds fantastic......the 2x12 recto cab sounds great.....i have the combo amp so i unplug the c90 speaker..
to answer your first question....my three fav bands are(lately) dream theater,fates warning,martriden.......one of my all time favorite bands is rush
depending on tubes and other factors the 2x12 recto can be a very deep and punchy cab,,,im liking mine for sure,,,,,, :twisted:

Latest posts

Back