recovered my MESA DC-5 Head today...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ces

Reaction score
A good & talented friend and myself tackled this project today.
Our first time ever, from beginning to end.
It isn't perfect but it's close!
1995 Mesa/Boogie Dual Caliber DC-5 Custom in Rave Bordeaux.
It's much darker in person...

BEFORE
MESApostorbit.jpg

DURING
securedownload-3.jpg

securedownload-4.jpg

AFTER
BORDEAUXMESA.jpg

Wow nice job!

I have a couple of cabs I'd like to recover. How hard was it to get the old tolex off? How did you do it?

GD_NC said:
Wow nice job!

I have a couple of cabs I'd like to recover. How hard was it to get the old tolex off? How did you do it?

we left the old tolex on.
it was paper thin, almost thinner than wall paper.

MusicManJP6 said:
Nice job! Judging from the pics it looks like you covered up the old tolex.

thank you.

getting the original 15+ year old tolex off, was gonna be more trouble than it was worth.
it was so thin, it didn't get in the way. it had almost no profile what so ever.

we thought we'd have to do this job at least twice to get it this clean.
the material we used was lined vinyl, not tolex vinyl.
i chose it because it was available that day when i went supply hunting.
lined vinyl threads and tears making the job longer, harder and the seams uglier and more visible.

aside from 2 slightly wrong cuts, we were getting a win.
it was super encouraging...

Our next ones are certain to come out much closer to "perfect"

Looks really nice!

I am considering re-covering an old circa-80s 112 cab from the orig blonde to black. As that tolex has been on there for quite some time, I was likewise considering leaving the orig on. Do you feel the new tolex adheres well with the old stuff underneath? And what about the corners and the fit? My boog cab has metal corners ...do you think they'd still fit given the new tolex will be thicker as it's sittin on the old stuff? Thanks!

Edward

edward said:
Looks really nice!

I am considering re-covering an old circa-80s 112 cab from the orig blonde to black. As that tolex has been on there for quite some time, I was likewise considering leaving the orig on. Do you feel the new tolex adheres well with the old stuff underneath? And what about the corners and the fit? My boog cab has metal corners ...do you think they'd still fit given the new tolex will be thicker as it's sittin on the old stuff? Thanks!

Edward

honestly, remove the old tolex. it can be a pain but well worth it. the smoother the surface you cover, the smoother the cover.
it'll make the cuts & corners clean to work with the wood and nothing on top. trust me. i was totally lucky that the tolex on my dc-5 was thinner than paper. ive never seen any tolex like it, but im no expert.

so, sad to say, extra work needed, remove old tolex...

good luck with that!

you can pm me if you have any questions, ill share what little i know...

Back