Recording with a metal grill halfback 2x12.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danyeo1

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience trying to record with the old halfback Boogie cabs. I previously owned a metal grill 4x12 with 2 MC90's and 2 EVM's. I usually used the MC90's to record with but i sealed off the top of the cab, i thought it sounded much better that way.

I recently picked up a 2x12 metal grill. 1 MC90 and 1 EVM. The top is open back. I recorded a lot with the old 4x12 i had and i liked the resulrts i got with the MC90. So i thought the 2x12 would give me similiar results. Wow, was i WRONG.

In the room the 2x12 sounds pretty good. But everything i have recorded sounds like complete ***. The MC90 sounds thin, brittle, and has just no bass at all. I am thinking/HOPING that it's because of the open back design. I need to seal this thing off ASAP and i hear Boogie doesn't make the panels for them. I'll get one from somewhere or just make one.

I have had mixed results recording with the EVM. I like it recorded with leads but not rhythm. I have a Thiele 1x12 with the EVM and that sounds pretty good, recorded it sounds ok.

I don't know, sometimes i think i might be better off selling all my cabs and just getting a 4x12 with Greenbacks. :cry:

I have a Mesa 4x12 loaded with 4 C-90's and it has a back pannel to close the top. It is not screwed to the back, it just wedges on (very tightly). I was doing some tinkering and I noticed that the cab was VERY bright without the back top pannel. It sounds HUGE with the pannel in place. I like it so much, I was thinking about making back pannels for the tops of all my Mesa cabs.

I just got a Halfback 4x12 today...Mine comes with a removable back panel...I took off the panel b/c I wanted to hear the half back in all its glory. It sounded good, but I still prefered the sound of my Orange 4x12 which sounded and felt bigger and fuller to my ears/chest. But after reading you post I'm gonna give it a run through with the back completely closed off.

psychodave said:
I have a Mesa 4x12 loaded with 4 C-90's and it has a back pannel to close the top. It is not screwed to the back, it just wedges on (very tightly). I was doing some tinkering and I noticed that the cab was VERY bright without the back top pannel. It sounds HUGE with the pannel in place. I like it so much, I was thinking about making back pannels for the tops of all my Mesa cabs.

My old 4x12 was also very bright with the top open. I have been tinkering around with the 2x12 today and everything i have recorded with the MC90 with the open back sounds like total dogshit. If i can't find a back panel i highly doubt i will keep this cab.

I lowered the 6600 way down and got some decent results. But i had the slider well below the middle line where i usually never have it.

What's the best wood to close the back with?? I have a piece of fiberplate that I use to close the back with. It changes the sound pretty good, but when I put my ear against the back I still hear the speakers.
When I put my ear against the part that always was closed, I don't hear a lot of the speakers anymore. This piece of wood is good for now, but I want to find a better one. The stupid thing is, my cabinet has got four v30's, so when I close the upperpart, I actually have just got a stiletto cabinet (or traditional)
Pretty stupid, but at least it was a lot cheaper.

Latest posts

Back