recording tips for get hi-gain sound, help me:)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dongh1217

Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hi everyone:
Today I'm playing my mic around the cab, I tried the whole day to get enough gain from Miking, but I coulden't, I actually heard more gain from my cab directly than my monitor. What kind of poblem would be? (I use a Solo50 and set gain between 1:50-3:00).

does the higher volume would help? since I living in school's apartment, I couldn't try at the gig volume. also I use a Cheap mic-pre(Berhinger MIC200 with 57).

Any comments?? :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

It really is a trial and error type of thing. Try lower gain settings on your amp, mic about an inch away from grill, I liked off axis at the edge of the speaker. Try double tracking with slightly different tone settings and panning a little to get a bigger sound. :idea:

I don't believe you need alot of volume when recording (unless it's a tonal issue) to achieve good results, especially with todays modern amps and they're preamps! Try your console's fader at 3/4's the way up and use the console channel's gain from there (sparingly). If your having to use too much console gain, you need a little more input signal.

first things first, dump the behringer!!! SM57s are definitely the right way to go though :wink:

Actually try lowering your gain a tad bit, youd be suprised at howmuch fuller and defined its going to sound, while still being plenty heavy and agressive.

I play for a metalcore band, if I can dig up some crappy clips of our old stuff I'll post it. It was done wit the gain no more than 50% and still sounds plenty heavy and evil.

Here's how most of these clips were tracked

http://www.nowhereradio.com/sonixx/singles

I monitor in phones while setting the amp's gain/tone

For more mids maybe a 57... for more scooped a 421/609S

I mostly mic with md421 and/or e609s and I usually use two or more mics and multi-track each part

Plenty of preamp Gain and Power Section gain. I agree that backing off on the preamp gain can help, but it can also kill that metal tone you're after... finding the balance is the job... what the mic hears and not what you hear in the room.

I start with the mic(s) directly on axis at about 5 inches from the dust cap. In and out for bass/proximity and sideways for highs and mids

After or during tracking (after tracking for me) hi pass at 60Hz and Low Pass at 7500

-keith-

Latest posts

Back