Recorded tone comparison's on a Mark V25 playing Motley Crue

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which recording sounds the best

• Recording 1

Votes: 19 79.2%
  • Recording 2

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • No preference, they both sound good

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Neither sounds good

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

primal

Reaction score
Messing with a couple different methods of recording my V25

Here are a couple of recordings of me playing the same song to a backing track (Motley Crue's Girls Girls Girls)

I have a preference but I wanted to see what others thought.

Personally I think they both sound good but there is one I prefer slightly over the other.

I don't want to reveal the methods of recording just yet as I want people to vote with there ears.

Either way I was happy with both recordings.

Recording 1
http://www.tonefinder.com/files/101454788120-GirlsGirlsGirls1.mp3

Recording 2
http://www.tonefinder.com/files/361454788205-GirlsGirlsGirls2.mp3

50 views and 4 votes.

Come on guys. Cast a vote.

No gotchya here.

I'm not going to comeback and say one recording was actually a gorilla amp. It was a V25 recorded using slightly different methods.
In the end I actually preferred the opposite method I expected to.

I get 10 votes in and I'll post the difference.

VOTE!!!!!

elvis said:
Really curious about your amp settings and the amp's raw tone (no post-processing).

IIC+ mode
All settings per clock face
Gain - 1:30
Treble - 12:15
Mid - 9:00
Bass - 9:45
Presence - 12:00
Master - 8:45

EQ Settings - Essentially classic V (close anyway)
80hz - On the top line
240hz - 1/3 of the way up from the middle to the top line
750hz - halfway between the middle and bottom lines
2200 - 3/4 of the way up from the middle to the top
6600 - Just below the top line

Post processing
Reverb - Was actually recorded with reverb, so it really wasn't "Post".

Was hoping for more votes, but I guess that's all I'm going to get.

Interesting most of you picked the first recording. That was also my favorite.

Recording 1 = cab clone- closed back
Recording 2 = line out from Power station then through a cabinet IR

Both ran with the same reverb.

I felt the cab clone recording sat in the mix so much better. Sure it was bright, but if you listen to Mick Mars tone on the album, it might be even brighter.

I've been getting some real good quality out of cab clone lately. I would feel completely comfortable doing a gig using cab clone.

The cab clone is surprisingly good. I find it is a bit brighter and a bit lacking in low end compared to my in room sound when used on the same settings, but it's pretty simple to tweak a bit and get a good sound out of it. I voted for 1 btw :) - had the right amount of high end and fit right in.

Rectifried said:
The cab clone is surprisingly good. I find it is a bit brighter and a bit lacking in low end compared to my in room sound when used on the same settings, but it's pretty simple to tweak a bit and get a good sound out of it. I voted for 1 btw :) - had the right amount of high end and fit right in.

I initially was underwhelmed by cab clone. But the more and more I have used it and learned to dial it in the better I have liked it. I found the big thing is stuff just sounds really good in the mix with cab clone. And if you listen to most recordings the guitar in the mix is a lot brighter then a lot of us like it when playing alone.

The other guitarist I jam with uses a Pink Taco. Awesome little amp for sure. But he likes to set it up as thick and with as much low end as he can get and I just think he gets completely lost in the mix.

Say what you will about the classic V setting on the EQ, but that coupled with a Vintage 30, and you are fitting in the mix no problem. And I think cab clone does the same.

They both sound great! I'd like to see a poll of the recordings with just the guitar. I think I might like the second one better if it was just guitar. I voted for 1. The second recording seemed to me to have a little more mid lows. I especially heard the palm mutes get that punch better in the second one. That good window shaking, picture rattling punch that comes from a good open a palm mute. But the first recording seemed to sit with everything a lot better. Maybe because the bass is pretty loud, it took away what was good from the second recording more than the first. But they both sound killer. I had to go listen to the original and you're right, his guitars are brighter than yours. I don't know what amp he used, I'm sure it's a Marshall, I'm guessing, but I always loved that tone in that song. It's got that grind that sounds soo good. I thought the mark did it really well.

i voted for the frist , for me its more steady gritt and focused bright !

anyway the song sux :lol:

sorry :mrgreen:

SamuelJ86 said:
They both sound great! I'd like to see a poll of the recordings with just the guitar. I think I might like the second one better if it was just guitar. I voted for 1. The second recording seemed to me to have a little more mid lows. I especially heard the palm mutes get that punch better in the second one. That good window shaking, picture rattling punch that comes from a good open a palm mute. But the first recording seemed to sit with everything a lot better. Maybe because the bass is pretty loud, it took away what was good from the second recording more than the first. But they both sound killer. I had to go listen to the original and you're right, his guitars are brighter than yours. I don't know what amp he used, I'm sure it's a Marshall, I'm guessing, but I always loved that tone in that song. It's got that grind that sounds soo good. I thought the mark did it really well.

I agree with you in that if the guitar was by itself, most would have probably preferred the second one.

But I have found over the years what sounds best alone often times sound like mud in the mix. And it seems in most cases when I carefully listen to the guitar tones more times then not they are VERY bright.

I remember recording an AC/DC track and thinking initially that my tone was too bright. When the recording was complete I found my tone too dark.

I voted for #1 and didn't read any comments before my vote.

#1 sounds more alive, as if it has more upper mids and highs. Just sounds more "with it".

#2 sounds good, real good but for some reason it sounds slightly veiled or darker then the first.

BTW good job getting that Motley Crue sound (on both clips).

Nailed it with the cab clone! The second recording was too muffled. I do prefer darker tones when I'm playing at home but those tones don't often translate well to recordings or sound good in a mix.

I chose #1 simply because clip 2 mix was too hot/compressed for me.

I preferred the cab clone too, but I think it needs to be even brighter. Mick was known for his really bright guitar (almost shitty tone) live... That being said, it sounds good... and proves anyone that says you get shitty *** tone from a Cab Clone obviously doesn't know what they are doing with it. It needs a bit of shaping but it's very true sounding.

Wow.. love the tones here, great Job! One question I have, I'm going to record my brand new v25 with Cabclone. but I'm kinda lost in this world, its my firs recording test
What audio card, XLR cable, etc.. do you recommend?

jaitrum said:
Wow.. love the tones here, great Job! One question I have, I'm going to record my brand new v25 with Cabclone. but I'm kinda lost in this world, its my firs recording test
What audio card, XLR cable, etc.. do you recommend?

I use my axe fx as my audio interface and don't really have much experience with anything else

Back