Recommend me some tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigMesa

Reaction score
Ok I need new tubes all the way around. I have always used Mesa tubes and now I want to experiment a little. I have a Dual rectifier 3 channel and the music style I play is a heavy rock like Godsmack, Metallica, etc.. I prefer the more chunkier sound of the 6l6 over el34 but it doesn't matter to me really so long as I can get a tone that will blow me away :D Someone please tell me what I should buy that will make my amp sing!

I like the Mesa STR440s, and TungSols for the preamp (especially V1 - the rest can be cheaper tubes.)

I haven't been able to *find* a GT12AX7M to a/b them, but people that I know that have say they're very nice.

eaeolian said:
I haven't been able to *find* a GT12AX7M to a/b them, but people that I know that have say they're very nice.

I go through a good dealer, who gives me a great deal on them. It's the only preamp tube I use in ANY of my amps, and I own.... a few. :wink:

I never liked JJs in any Mesa I've had. They seem to make the amp bright and a bit shrill.

Mesa tubes always seem to sound best in Mesas to me.

You can check out eurotubes for some interesting tube ideas. I have bought JJ's from Bob at Eurotubes with mixed results. The clean sounds see m better to me but the distortion is a little harsh. Also, I have had quality issues with jj's but Bob at Eurotubes is a stand up guy. I just don't know if I would try them again.

I prefer el34's but everytime I put Mesa el 34's in my dual rectifier I can't get them to last 6 months. Mesa states that El 34's are not as reliable as 6l6's and I could not agree more. Unfortuantely I love the el34 sound.....

Latest posts

Back