Recommend Me A Cab For My Mark V!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stoneyman

Reaction score
Any suggestions?

I am looking to get a cab with some thump. Right now I am playing the Mark V through a cheap Ibanez 4x12 cab LOL. Needless to say its not great sounding.

Im looking to balance the hi gain of the amp with a cab that has good bass response. Do I go with a rectifier cab, road king cab, stilleto cab? It also doesnt have to be a Mesa cab either.

Any cab that would round out the gain so I can hear/feel the balls and chunk LOL!

Thanks!

See my Marshall cab set up below

Great balance between thump n growl, with clear cleans when it matters

Need thump?

a 4 X 12 is one speaker too many:

http://www.acclaim-music.com/Randall-RS125CX-2X12-1X15-Speaker-Cabinet.html

Trust me..., I have this, it is oversized, and it thumps!!!

2 X 12" Eminence Legends on top.

1 X 15" 200watt Eminence Legend on bottom.

Oversized cab..., mine has 2 X 12 Celestion Seventy80's on top, I'm sure they are still available if that's more your taste.

Mesa 2x12 Recto Std and you can't go wrong. If you're looking to try other brands you can either try (if you can) an Orange 2x12 cb. Aside dimension, wattage and configuration I suggest you to use v30's in it (but I gotta say the I suggest v30's with everything :lol: ).

I have a 1x12 widebody openback w/C90 stacked on a 1x12 widebody closedback ported w/v30. Perfect for my needs.
If i was to get anything different it woud be the 2x12 Recto cab.

jmontgomery said:
I have a 1x12 widebody openback w/C90 stacked on a 1x12 widebody closedback ported w/v30. Perfect for my needs.
If i was to get anything different it woud be the 2x12 Recto cab.

Do you have it connected via paralleled out? Look like a RK cab type of combination, cool.

I've got my Mark V running through a 4x12 Mesa Slant Recto cab. I love it. Got it used for 600$ (including shipping) and it made the world of a difference from my previous cab haha! :D

Cheers

Mesa compact wide-body 1x12 ported cab (C-90) on bottom and compact wide-body 1x12 open back (V-30) on top covers the bases for me. Tight bottom end and open "airy" ...sounds. my mini-stack sounds incredible from about 20' away. I can also fit my entire rig into my Mazda 3 and not kill my back.

Mills Acoustics 212B, it's what I have and it literally kicks f**kin ***.

http://millsacoustics.com/models.html

They're expensive, but are very high quality and hand built. Research it :)

isn't mills acoustic out of business? I've seen some serious talks that they've taken a lot of money and stopped producing, eventually they do not reply to any buyers who have aready sent their deposit and still act as if everything was normal accepting money and ****..

http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=116100&hilit=mills

I'd avoid buying from them and rather try finding a cheaper second hand.. you'll save a lot of money.. just beware folks

wow! thanks for the suggestions.

More research to do for sure. Im gonna have to take my Mark V head with me and tour some shops for a cab showdown LOL!

Keep em coming!

Get an old EVM -12L and put it in a Mesa widebody ported 1x12. I had two made at Mesa with Mesa branded EV's that I sent them from older combos. It has all the thump and projection you will ever need. Throw the second one on top and you have a killer looking rig that sounds incredible that can be played at any gig. Lately, I'm playing with them side by side on the floor with the Mark V on top of the cabs.

For me, nothing matches a 4x12. I've had a variety of cabs, two 1x12's with EVs, a 2x12, two 2x12s and none do what a 4x12 can do. Oh, yeah, a 4x12 looks really cool too. Smaller rigs will disappear on some stages, if that's important.

Most any full sized 4x12 will do. Mesa, Marshall, Bogner. I don't like the smaller, cramped 4x12s. Big box, big boom.

Save some money and buy used. Consider the possibility that the speakers may not be suited to your taste.

Or flash the cash and check out Stone Age Custom Cabs. I've got one on order, with Scumback M75s. Let you know in a couple weeks what it's like.

Most any full sized 4x12 will do. Mesa, Marshall, Bogner. I don't like the smaller, cramped 4x12s.

Agree. Orange also makes some sweet sounding 4x12s.

One comment though - I like Marshall cabs, but I don't like the 1960A cab with a Mesa because of the G12T-75 speakers in it. Had one and I swapped my speakers for V30 even before I bought my boogie and I'm glad I did that, since it makes my Mesa sound SWEEET. Love the 1960AV.

Save $ and look at Avatar. You can custom configure the speaker configuration. I got mine 3 weeks ago and it looks and sounds great. The other guitarist in my band has a Bogner 4x12 loaded with Vintage30's. The Avatar Vintage style 4x12 is EXACTLY the same as the Bogner 4x12. We were swapping our connections between both heads back and forth with each cab. We both agreed that the Avatar sounded better. He paid $800 used, I paid $670 for brand new delivered. I've read people that said the cabs are built like crap and it's BS. I've worked with wood my entire life. They use Dado joints and not finger joints. What does that mean; they both will break the same if you hit them with a sledge hammer or drop them out of a window. It is built to last and that's all that matters.

Another reason to buy Avatar, the guy Dave who owns the company is great. Just call and talk to him. He answers any questions via email and has endless patience for idiots like me who can't make up their mind on what options they want before the drop the cash on the cab. I'd rather give my money to a guy that stands behind his company and his products. I bought 1 cab from them and I can't see myself buying one elsewhere unless it is a great deal.

Hello from England.
You have the head, so try to find a couple of Boogie 1x12s that are EV loaded - a half-back and a Thiele are your reference points - now you are talking versatility, portability and flexibility.
With these you can do anything and not break your back lugging even a Recto 2x12 up stairs or even across floors to do the gig.
Personally I have four ancient Boogie 1x12s - all EVs - two half- back and two ported Thieles
this gives me an easy load - in and the sheer joy of choice.
I have a 1x12 for the jazz gig. I have a 2x12 for the average pub/bar/club gig and I have a virtual 4x12 for any serious stages. It looks awesome in the 4x12 combination and who cares if the Mk V protrudes laterally over the 1x12 or 2x12 vertical application by a couple of inches ?
It's the sound on the gig that counts. Really zingy highs from the half-backs and loads of low-end grunt from the Thieles and Headroom to spare with the big plus that you are the sound - engineer's dream because of the variable output stages.
I know they're expensive - in England it's positively eye-watering, but you won't regret it.
Good luck old chap.
Ave.

I went with the rectifier horizontal dual speaker cabinet. Although I only use it at home and it is obviously complete overkill I am still loving the bottom end.

Latest posts

Back