Rec Pre + 20/20 rig pics

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoG

Reaction score
The rack... that big empty space keeps calling to me but I can't figure out what to put in it. Don't like the G-Force, an Eclipse is overkill. In theory I'd love an analog rackmount stereo EQ with like 4 presets, but of course no one makes one.

mike_rig_closeup_1280.jpg

A couple of 1x12 Avatar cabs. Bottom is closed back w/a V30, top has a partially open back with a CL80. In the studio, I run all my fx on the CL80 side and mic the cabs separately.

mike_cabs_up_800.jpg

Maxon AD-900, Subdecay Quasar (amazing phaser), and a loop pedal a local buddy built a couple of for me. I'm still trying to find a reverb I like, I've gone through a Yamaha rackmount (sucked tone), a Boss RV-3 (just sucked), a Digitech Digiverb (volume weirdness), a Holiest Grail (not enough headroom), and I have a new tc Nova on the way.

mike_pedals_1024.jpg

Probably the only time you will ever see two Yamaha Image guitars in one place. Image Custom in the front, Image Standard in the back. Really amazing, versatile guitars. The Custom has a trem, which I have blocked, and more versatile electronics. I could go on about what awesome guitars these are for days, but I'll spare you.

mike_guitars_close_800.jpg

GazPots said:
Well he did say rig pics.

Did you miss that bit? :lol:

Nice rig btw dude. 8)

thanks man. Note my incredibly technically sophisticated mod to make recto knobs readable 8) (look closely at the rec pre...)

GazPots said:

Nice rig btw dude. 8)

!!! = exclamation .
I was complaining not asking !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

I do have one little tune up on my website (in my sig.) Not "Recto" tones, though.

LnTh, are you digging that Nova Delay? I've heard awesome things about it... I've ordered the Nova Reverb...

LnTh said:
18&Life said:
No sounds !!! :evil:
No sound = better than stolen sound

I don't think so,I want to hear the equipment,I don't care who did it.
To be stoled, the owner has to have patents.
If not,we can't even know IF the owner really did it.

CoG said:
I do have one little tune up on my website (in my sig.) Not "Recto" tones, though.

LnTh, are you digging that Nova Delay? I've heard awesome things about it... I've ordered the Nova Reverb...
I'm digging the Nova Delay indeed. If you're using a high gain amp, you need a good fx loop though. I keep it before preamp cause I NEVER use delay with my distortion. Just my cleans on some songs.

As for the Nova, I've used Line6 DL-4, Maxon AD-999, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, G Major, Intellifex, Ibanez DE-7. Out of all these my favorite is the Nova. I should say that I HATE Analog delays. If you're into digital delays like me, Nova is the way to go in my opinion.

I'm yet to use it to its full potential though. I bought it VERY recently :)

Nova Reverb is on my buy list. I might go with the Holy Grail though not yet decided. That clip sounded pretty good. I like how you made the guitar sound not so guitar like. It's very original. Not something you'd find easily on records. I like it.

18&Life said:
LnTh said:
18&Life said:
No sounds !!! :evil:
No sound = better than stolen sound

I don't think so,I want to hear the equipment,I don't care who did it.
To be stoled, the owner has to have patents.
If not,we can't even know IF the owner really did it.

Not everyone is a lying piece of scumbag like you so yes, we can trust the clips to be the owner's.

It's because of no talent thieves like you, I don't post any of my full songs on the net. Just some riffs I come up with that I'll never make into a song. For all I know a douchebag like you will steal it so why bother.

Keep pwning yourself 18&nolife

It amazes how you think I really care about what you think.
You can't think ,it's a fact.You live in the past.
But brainless I REALLY don't care about what you think about me,brainless stupid emobaby. :D

18&Life said:
It amazes how you think I really care about what you think.
You can't think ,it's a fact.You live in the past.
But brainless I REALLY don't care about what you think about me,brainless stupid emobaby. :D
I just enjoy reading your stupid blabber. It just makes me hysterical every time I read your replies saying you don't care. How ironic. Yet you still try to reply with your broken logic and desperately try to come out on top where at the end of the day, even you know you're the bottom of the pile, scum. Go steal some more clips, thief. Your opinion is not valued. Your points are moot.
You are a LOSER.

Still don't care about you. :wink:
I'm more in you than you in me.
Dude you love me.
But I like chicks so get lost.
BTW you are ruining others post talking about me.What a brainless emobaby. :oops:

CoG said:
GazPots said:

Nice rig btw dude. 8)

thanks man. Note my incredibly technically sophisticated mod to make recto knobs readable 8) (look closely at the rec pre...)

I dunno, im lookin at the recto pre trying to see but i can't make out anything on the knobs thats not usually there. :(

GazPots said:
I dunno, im lookin at the recto pre trying to see but i can't make out anything on the knobs thats not usually there. :(

lol, sorry, I got some tiny little red glass beads that fit in the little holes in the pots. I can actually read the knobs from more than a foot away now. :)

LnTh said:
As for the Nova, I've used Line6 DL-4, Maxon AD-999, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, G Major, Intellifex, Ibanez DE-7. Out of all these my favorite is the Nova. I should say that I HATE Analog delays. If you're into digital delays like me, Nova is the way to go in my opinion.

right on. I'm more of an analog delay guy... I used to be a serious delay junkie and I'm kind of in recovery. my bandmate needs a delay, though, and the fact that the Nova can handle line level makes it a natural for his Roadster.

LnTh said:
Nova Reverb is on my buy list. I might go with the Holy Grail though not yet decided.

I wasn't crazy about the Grail series. The Holy has low headroom and is pretty limited, the Holier is overpriced. The Holiest was great but didn't have enough headroom. The Holy Grail would be okay if you just want some very basic reverb on clean tones. I'm looking for something that can get me a little more into the Isis/Neurosis kind of scene.

When the Nova gets here I'll do some clips for sure.

LnTh said:
That clip sounded pretty good. I like how you made the guitar sound not so guitar like. It's very original. Not something you'd find easily on records. I like it.

thanks man! funnily enough there's actually hardly any fx on there, just a bit of phase on one side of on track and faint delay on another. I think the big thing is that I tune down to CGCFAD with .011-52s on one guitar, so the strings are a little 'loose". If I play with less gain I get that sort of 'pong' dulcimer/piano kind of sound, and pinch harmonics are really full, not squealy.

edit: btw, just noticed you use CL80s too. I don't know why people rip on these speakers... the response is great all through the frequency band, and they don't boost anything you'll have to fix later. I pretty much just use my V30 cab to add some fullness, the CL80 cab is the main tone.

CoG said:
LnTh said:

right on. I'm more of an analog delay guy... I used to be a serious delay junkie and I'm kind of in recovery. my bandmate needs a delay, though, and the fact that the Nova can handle line level makes it a natural for his Roadster.

LnTh said:
Nova Reverb is on my buy list. I might go with the Holy Grail though not yet decided.

I wasn't crazy about the Grail series. The Holy has low headroom and is pretty limited, the Holier is overpriced. The Holiest was great but didn't have enough headroom. The Holy Grail would be okay if you just want some very basic reverb on clean tones. I'm looking for something that can get me a little more into the Isis/Neurosis kind of scene.

When the Nova gets here I'll do some clips for sure.

LnTh said:
That clip sounded pretty good. I like how you made the guitar sound not so guitar like. It's very original. Not something you'd find easily on records. I like it.

thanks man! funnily enough there's actually hardly any fx on there, just a bit of phase on one side of on track and faint delay on another. I think the big thing is that I tune down to CGCFAD with .011-52s on one guitar, so the strings are a little 'loose". If I play with less gain I get that sort of 'pong' dulcimer/piano kind of sound, and pinch harmonics are really full, not squealy.

edit: btw, just noticed you use CL80s too. I don't know why people rip on these speakers... the response is great all through the frequency band, and they don't boost anything you'll have to fix later. I pretty much just use my V30 cab to add some fullness, the CL80 cab is the main tone.
I didn't notice people rip on 'em. But hey, it's a taste thing. Anybody who came in to my house to buy gear from me (from craigslist) played through my cab and they were blown away. CL80's kick major *** if you're into more balanced non scooped sound i think. I've tried 4x12 mesa's, 4x12 marshalls, other cabs.. CL80's won everytime :)

Btw, don't let your bandmate hurry on the nova. It's not that great at staying clean either. But again, to be honest, none of the delay pedals handled that much gain on clean channel. I keep my gain fairly low so I don't really have any problems. I'm sure Roadster's fx loop is far better than my 2 channel recto's though. Should be fine if you ask me. I would say nova is like DL-4 but much better built and more compact. Not everyone is a fan of DL-4 but out of the delays I've owned, it's the best after nova IMO.

I'm weird when it comes to delays :)

CoG said:
GazPots said:

lol, sorry, I got some tiny little red glass beads that fit in the little holes in the pots. I can actually read the knobs from more than a foot away now. :)

That's a great idea! Are they the right size to just press in or did you use glue?

That's a sweet picture of the Recto Pre. I haven't had the time to even power mine up for a while but soon...

18&Life said:
Still don't care about you. :wink:
I'm more in you than you in me.
Dude you love me.
But I like chicks so get lost.
BTW you are ruining others post talking about me.What a brainless emobaby. :oops:

I'm still amazed that the mods haven't banned you for flaming and being a general *******.

I'll have to email them a second time I suppose.

Latest posts

Back