Realistic hazards of using ungrounded/unconditioned power?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The manual for the LSC states that phase of the amp is changed depending on whether the effects loop is engaged or bypassed. Will this have any bearing on grounding issues?

O.K.....I just ordered and awaiting shipment on a Furman Power Factor Pro. I spoke w/customer service at Furman and he assured me that this was the unit I need. It has 4 plugs, conditions power and will save your amps. It's total AMP input is 11 or 12 AMPS. My LSS is 2 I think, and my Fender is 3 making a total of 5 so I could add a LSC when I get it. It's a floor unit and better suits my application. Not as much protection as the ar 15 , but the rep assured me it would be 99% effective ..about $380 at Mucisians Friend....I feel better , now on to the next purchase..( LSC)...I hope this info helps somebody out.....

boogiemon said:
The manual for the LSC states that phase of the amp is changed depending on whether the effects loop is engaged or bypassed. Will this have any bearing on grounding issues?

Nope, none what so ever. It's just saying that when the loop is engaged the signal goes thru another driver (in effect an inverter) which pushes it 180 degrees out of phase. All that means is that what goes to the speaker as a positive voltage without the loop engaged goes as a negative with the loop engaged. And vice versa.

Has nothing to do with whether the amp is gounded or not.

CGM said:
O.K.....I just ordered and awaiting shipment on a Furman Power Factor Pro. I spoke w/customer service at Furman and he assured me that this was the unit I need. It has 4 plugs, conditions power and will save your amps. It's total AMP input is 11 or 12 AMPS. My LSS is 2 I think, and my Fender is 3 making a total of 5 so I could add a LSC when I get it. It's a floor unit and better suits my application. Not as much protection as the ar 15 , but the rep assured me it would be 99% effective ..about $380 at Mucisians Friend....I feel better , now on to the next purchase..( LSC)...I hope this info helps somebody out.....

Yes, it will provide protection. However it won't do anything about the lack of grounded AC at a particular venue. So that issue might still exist. Note, from the manual safety section...

"4. The Power Factor Pro should only be connected to a 120 VAC, 60Hz, 15 amp (“E” version - 220 VAC, 10 amp) grounded electrical outlet. Do not defeat the ground or change polarization of the power plug."

You could always go Viet-Namm on it and drive a couple of 6-foot copper spikes into the club's floor. You want ground? THERE'S your ground!

:)

Seriously, though. Don't play ungrounded - you'll shock your lip and it sucks. A lot. Or call Eric Johnson - he seems to have figured out a way to defeat the ground on everything and not die...

...O.K....O.K.......I'll get the appropriate device and learn how to use it to check the ground,....now....could someone just please hand me my burden !.........

you asked for a horror story....

a friend of mines father used to play in bands, he said they played an outdoor show once, and there were some grounding issues.

Apparently the 2 guitarists got close to each other on stage, and one of them had new strings on their axe, didnt cut the extra length off.....these touched the other guitarists strings at some point when they got close and supposedly electrocuted one of these guys to death.

Urban legend? Maybe, but this is what he told me, and I dont see why he would lie about a friend of his dying....but i suppose stranger things have happened.

Sustain said:
you asked for a horror story....

a friend of mines father used to play in bands, he said they played an outdoor show once, and there were some grounding issues.

Apparently the 2 guitarists got close to each other on stage, and one of them had new strings on their axe, didnt cut the extra length off.....these touched the other guitarists strings at some point when they got close and supposedly electrocuted one of these guys to death.

Urban legend? Maybe, but this is what he told me, and I dont see why he would lie about a friend of his dying....but i suppose stranger things have happened.

Am I the only one who finds this funny?

Lesson of the day: CUT YOUR STRING ENDS. :D

Well, I've got a story too.
Some time ago me and my band has rehersals at one rehersal studio and something was wrong with ground, I was on back vocals with my sure beta 87 and once i've got too close to it. I've been shocked, and my mic has been destroyed. It appears that if you have to sing and play at the same time, you've got to use some shield, placed on a microphone, especially when your have a cap mic!

Sounds like there should be a policy of beating up club owners with bad electrical. That way they will be motivated to have good electrical!

Latest posts

Back