Re-tubing Lonestar Special with JJ's

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle

Reaction score
I just ordered JJ tubes from Bob at eurotubes. Plan on replacing all tubes except the 5y3 rectifier in my LSS. No particular gripes with the factory equiped Mesa tubes, just wanted some tubes for backup, and just to see the difference in sound (if any).Will let you guys know how it goes.

Kyle,
I just did the exact same thing and the improvement in tone was very noticable. I'll bet you'll be glad you did. I also got my JJs from Bob. Next, I may order some JJ EL34s from Bob, but Mullard is now making an EL34 that's supposed to be amazing, so I might go that route. I work in a music store & we have some quads in stock. If I can hook you up, let me know.

LSS

Got the tubes and installed them. Definitely a difference in tone. I'm still trying to determine if iI like them better or not. The JJ's seem to be "tighter" and punchier with more high end chime. Doesn't have that "loose" sound that the stock tubes had and breakup/saturation seems to be a a different point. Also, the NORMAL, THICK, THICKER switch doesn't seem to be as dramatic. This is just a first impression though. They are growing on me as I tweak the tone controls a little. Had an audition the other night and got a few compliments on the tone. I'll probably leave them in.

Kyle, this is a great way to get to understand your amp and what it can do. My experience is that you need to play the new tubes for about 5-10 hours (depending on how hard you drive them) to break them in. Of course, it might just be that after about 10 hours of listening to new tubes you start to get used to the sound and you naturally filter what you hear.

Keep us posted.

Ok. I am finally convinced that I like the JJ tubes much better than the stock tubes. A definite improvement. The only way I know how to describe it is: they have more "life" and "spunk". Also, they seem to be less microphonic. Bob at eurotubes says all tubes have microphonics to varying degrees. These seem to be less than the the stock Mesa's. I would recommend these to anyone considering tube replacement. Talk to Bob at eurotubes. I received outstanding service from him.

Latest posts

Back