Re-tubing BOTH rectos!! ouch!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lookslikemeband

Reaction score
Hey gang -

It's time I re-tube both my dual and single recto. Any suggestions on WHERE to get good tubes?? (I use 6L6's) I also need pre-amp tubes.

Should I:

Stick to Mesa tubes??
Buy only new tubes??

All suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks!

Lance / Missing Man

I bought my 6l6's from tubedepot.com, good prices and good delivery turnaround. Bob at Euro will hawk JJ's but both tubedepot and the tubestore will sing the praises of the Winged "C" SED's (Sovteks) that I eventually bought. Tubedepot claims to supply these to be re-branded as Mesa 6L6's and THETUBESTORE.com will tell you most of their Mesa customers buy that particular brand.

lookslikemeband said:
Hey gang -

It's time I re-tube both my dual and single recto. Any suggestions on WHERE to get good tubes?? (I use 6L6's) I also need pre-amp tubes.

Should I:

Stick to Mesa tubes??
Buy only new tubes??

All suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks!

Lance / Missing Man

I was very happy with my experience in buying a matched quad 6l6 set from DougsTubes.com. I screwed up the bottom casing of a tube and I didn't know if it was toast or not. I emailed him a couple of pics and assured me that it would still work fine. He could have easily told me that it wouldn't work and I wouldn't have known any better and bought another tube.

I buy from www.thetubestore.com

I usually use the Svetlana 6L6s, which are the same tube as the Mesa STR-454.

I've heard good things about both the JJ/Telsa tubes, and the SEDs, but I'm quite happy with the Svetlana's so I can't see myself changing (plus my amp takes 8 power tubes, so it's too expensive to bother experimenting).

I like the JJ's for preamp tubes (get the hi-gain ones...the regular 83S's are too dark IMO), and their GZ34 recto's are a HUGE improvement over the stock 5U4's. Never tried their 6L6's (maybe next time, but my last retube was an emergency need-em-right-now thing). Mesa's tubes, both the 430's and 454's, work very well in the Dual/Triple with the 454's being slightly deeper sounding but not a huge difference.

I've got some power tubes if you're interested:

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=1237

I would gladly hook you up with a deal if you purchased the lot. Let me know.

Sincerely,

Layne
[email protected]

I've bought heaps of tubes over the years and the best guy I've ever dealt with for Mesa tubes is Bryan Sanborn.

He sells on ebay. His user name is bmsanborn. Here is his email <bryansanborn(at)comcast.net>

He can supply you a very tightly matched quad.

If you run your amp quite loud it might be worth asking him for a quad that will run in the El34 postion and bring the 6L6's up to a better temperature.

My set of SEDs have been amazing

I've had good success with Eurotubes (they only sell JJ's) and the Tubestore - both have great customer support I just bought some EL34s from Ted Weber and they were a reasonable price and well matched. I personally like the Shuguang tubes. I used them in my old Marshall DSL50 and in my Aiken Intruder and they sounded fantastic in both - a lot of depth and harmonics.

Latest posts

Back