Re-tubing recommendations for Lonestar Classic

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RicherHertz

Reaction score
Hello Boogieboard members, I'm looking to re-tube a recently acquired Lonestar Classic 100/50/10.

Any recommendations are appreciated as to what 12ax7's & EL34/KT77/6CA7's I should obtain?

The amp sounds pretty dark and is currently loaded with JJ 6L6GC's & its original worn Mesa 12ax7's.

Hello Boogieboard members, I'm looking to re-tube a recently acquired Lonestar Classic 100/50/10.

Any recommendations are appreciated as to what 12ax7's & EL34/KT77/6CA7's I should obtain?

The amp sounds pretty dark and is currently loaded with JJ 6L6GC's & its original worn Mesa 12ax7's.
Curious what cab/speakers are you running with it currently? IMHO that choice has more of an effect on tone then tubes would.

That said running el34s instead of the 6L6s will brighten it up a bit at the expense of the fatter / cleaner 6L6 sound. The 6CA7s are a bit cleaner then the KT77s.

With preamp tubes it's important to note the mfgr choice for V3 from a reliability / longevity perspective. This link covers that. Can't go wrong sticking with Mesas.

LSS tube issues

Back