Re-tubing a Tiny Terror

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digirat

Reaction score
Hi

For any of you guys who also use an Orange Tiny Terror (in addition to your Mesa-Boogie of course :D :!: ) - I just re-tubed mine and it sounds excellent. I swapped the stock power tubes for TAD EL84s and swapped out the Orange-branded 12AX7 in v2 for an EH 12AY7.

The slightly lower gain "vintage" vibe of the 12AY7 takes away the slightly fizzy tone when you max the gain, for a killer lead sound, and the classic rock crunch also improves to my ears. The clean tones are also somewhat sweeter, but whether that's down to the preamp tube substitution or the EL84 swap, I'm not sure.

In any case, I think this was a great upgrade and a few dollars spent turned the little white monster into a classier tone machine IMHO :)

Cool I'll have to try the 12ay7, I never thought to try one of those. That must really lower the gain and volume a lot. The TT is a great amp IMHO.

Hey Digirat,

Way to go on your tube rolling. :) 12ay7 is WAY lower in gain than 12ax7, almost down into the 12au7 category. Be careful! Tube rolling, particularly the deadly and dreaded VINTAGE or NEW OLD STOCK strain of that sonic virus is more addictive and deadly to those susceptible types than some recreational drugs...falling prey to that disease will deprive you of following the herd and their "store bought" tone wellness... :p

Peace.

jamme61 said:
Cool I'll have to try the 12ay7, I never thought to try one of those. That must really lower the gain and volume a lot. The TT is a great amp IMHO.

Hi

Can't say I noticed a big drop in overall volume as such, but definitely a big effect on the gain level. It still rocks pretty hard at the top end, but the gain range just becomes more usable for me. To my ears, all I "lost" was the bit where the amp turns from saturated to fizzy :!:

212Mavguy said:
Hey Digirat,

Way to go on your tube rolling. :) 12ay7 is WAY lower in gain than 12ax7, almost down into the 12au7 category. Be careful! Tube rolling, particularly the deadly and dreaded VINTAGE or NEW OLD STOCK strain of that sonic virus is more addictive and deadly to those susceptible types than some recreational drugs...falling prey to that disease will deprive you of following the herd and their "store bought" tone wellness... :p

Peace.

Hi Mavguy........ know what you mean about those addictions: I've already been into guitar collecting therapy, so I guess I'm ready for a new obssession :D

I did actually try a 12AU7 in V1 with the 12AY7, but that turned the Tiny Terror into a Small Sweetie :lol: :!: I possibly found a really cheap way to clone a Hiwatt, but it wasn't for me :roll:

Ever try vintage 12at7's? They are inexpensive and underexploited, a little less than half the gain of a 12ax7, slightly more than the ay7 you love. I like have found that black plate varieties are black beauties to the ears and for the most part are found on ebay dirt cheap. In some tube makes, notably Raytheon blackplate, there is a family resemblence in their basic gorgeous tone going from 12ax7 to 5751 to 12at7 while also going down in the gain scale. Go and continue to prosper where the store bought tone doesn't live! 8) Less expensive than collecting guitars too. Then there's speakers... :wink:

Latest posts

Back