Rack heat?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cedrik Menard

Reaction score
Hi there!

Im in the process of putting together my rack setup and I recently added a Triaxis, Furman power conditionner and G-Major to my setup. It all sits in this order: Furman atop my skb 4u rack --- Triaxis - G-Major - 2:90. But, this morning I played at low volume for about 1h-1h30 and I noticed that the equipment was quite hot. :ugh: When I had only the 2:90 in the middle of my 4u rack it got hot , but not as much as now. I know tubes generate heat but I dont know if it is normal for my gear to heat up just at the point where I can keep my hands touching it (area near the tubes) and support the heat. Actually the G-Major got quite hot too, the aluminium part of front panel was **** hot.:scratch: I guess its because its caught in sandwich between two tube loaded devices, but still. Im new to all rack setups so I dont know what to think. I also might add, the room temperature was 25deg C and my rig is placed against the corner of my practice room. Is This normal?

Thanx alot for your help!

Ex

Put the G-Major over the Triaxis. Normally the heat isn't a big deal, but it's best to put less heat sensitive pieces of gear over your power amp.

Instead of over thinking these kind of problems I prefer a simpler more direct approach. A $10 fan will solve all your heat issues.

Well i found the culprit. I took everything out of my rig and stacked it on a table with 2in spacers in between. Guess what? No heat!. I think its an air circulation issue. My G-major would get real hot caught between the tri and the 290 but outside the rack and on top of the stack with free air cooling, its ice cold. My next purchase is a 8 space rack and Ill rearrange everything for proper cooling!

you know, I should invent these sheets of metal , that won't scratch , soft edges or maybe a thing of cotton on it, anyways, it should absorb heat and somehow turn the hotness into coldness :roll: and it would have to fit between rack peices, and shoudl cost like 20$ for 4 :D or i could just buy a fan.. :p anyways no one steal my idea! 8)

your amp shouldnt be emitting that much heat. yes the tubes to get hot, but i am running almost exactly the same rig as you (Triaxis > G-major > 2:90) and there are no heat issues here. all the units have no space between them. your circulation problem is most likely to do with your rack

I have a mark III rackmount in my rack and it produces HEAT, i can fry an egg on that thing :p could you make some suggestions as to cooling it off, because I know getting a fan will do nothing, it's like taking the lids of a computer and thinking it's going to cool down faster, because it won't it'll heat up faster... so any suggestions anyone?

^^^^^
is it heating up your other equipment? or just the casing of the Mk3?

How about this -

- what is it in a rack case that will help to properly vent the power/preamps? Nevermind the fans, what kind of rack case should one look into that will allow proper ventilation of the amps (they will run hot, regardless)???

Latest posts

Back