rack gear or pedals?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fronzil

Reaction score
been thinking about diving into the rack gear lately..right now im just a head/cab with pedals kinda guy..been hearing things about the affect pedals / rack gear has on your tone and stuff, wondering what people think? you prefer rack gear for your effects with something like a T.C.E G system to control it? or just pedals in front of your amp and int he FX loop?

I used to have the G system and it was a really nice machine to use. I had to sell it due to cash shortage so now I'm down to Mk 4 and a line 6 dl4. I use the amps reverb and have three different presets on the delay and I'm happy.

Looking at your setup it looks like you,ve got a pretty kicking tone happening already dude!There,s some happening rack gear out there as well but in my opinion head ,cab and pedals is the most convenient package(if you get lucky and they,ve got a descent backline at the venue sometimes you can get away with just your head and pedals).

I've tried all kinds of stuff over the years, and I keep coming back to basic amp with pedals. It seems to be the most satisfying and consistent setup, no matter what the amp

ty

cool thanks guys..ya i've never been even close to this happy as far as my rig and tone goes..just wondering if there's something out there to maybe control it more as well, aka less pedal dancing?

Pedal dancing is fun man! It's like being a midget at a urinal, you've gotta stay on your toes.

I got tired of all those tiny little screens and irritating menus. Just give me a **** knob to turn! I used to have a Triaxis, 2:90, and G-major. It sounded fantastic and was oh-so flexible. However, as time went on, I found myself only using two of the modes on the Triaxis (Rhythm Green, and Lead 2 Yellow) 99% of the time. FX went the same way. At first I had everthing plus the kitchen sink running on all my presets. As the years went by, and the more I played, the less effects I used. After a short fling with a Rectoverb Combo, I picked up a Mark IVa and haven't looked back. I love the "hands on" approach to a good old head and stompboxes. So many effects units on the market now are just packed full of useless crap. Sorry but I just don't have a need for a reverse octive delayed ring modulating step phaser that makes my guitar sound like a retarded cat that's high on PCP. And don't even get me started on the idiots who program the factory presets on those things... beyond completely useless.

sdgiffin said:
Pedal dancing is fun man! It's like being a midget at a urinal, you've gotta stay on your toes.

+1 man. I don't think I could ever get away from having pedals. Even if I had the most advanced processer and midi pedal ever.

mr_fender said:
I got tired of all those tiny little screens and irritating menus. Just give me a **** knob to turn! I used to have a Triaxis, 2:90, and G-major. It sounded fantastic and was oh-so flexible. However, as time went on, I found myself only using two of the modes on the Triaxis (Rhythm Green, and Lead 2 Yellow) 99% of the time. FX went the same way. At first I had everthing plus the kitchen sink running on all my presets. As the years went by, and the more I played, the less effects I used. After a short fling with a Rectoverb Combo, I picked up a Mark IVa and haven't looked back. I love the "hands on" approach to a good old head and stompboxes. So many effects units on the market now are just packed full of useless crap. Sorry but I just don't have a need for a reverse octive delayed ring modulating step phaser that makes my guitar sound like a retarded cat that's high on PCP. And don't even get me started on the idiots who program the factory presets on those things... beyond completely useless.

Bump!

And don't even get me started on the idiots who program the factory presets on those things... beyond completely useless.

I've got a real thing about presets...sound cr@p 99% of the time anyway and make the player oh-so-lazy. I've gotta say also, it's all about the pedals.

That said, both John Petrucci and Larry Carlton have big racks of gear and pedals, so I guess you can do both. As far as I'm concerned though, delay & flanger in the loop, tuner, wah and phaser (and tuner!) out front...job done! It's a good point about not actually needing a ringmodded octave 'PCP cat' (apparently) setting, and I'm pretty sure 4 or 5 pedals costs about the same as a decent FX rack unit anyway. +1 for pedals!

For me , I love my TC G-Major (1st Gen) and one midi controller (digitech control 8).

It controls all 3 channels of my Mark 3 Green stripe and eliminates tap dancing, which in my opinion is a + during live shows.

I would think rack gear is much easier to transport and set up if youre in a touring band and you need a bunch of effects but pedals are just plain fun! and theyre analog so theyre prime for modding! speaking of which i have a hot soldering iron calling my name....

mm good thread..i always change my mind..sometimes i feel the need for the G maj 2 / voodoo GCX / voodoo pro ground control..presets seem so appealing...but lately even just with my carbon copy and bb preamp i have loads of fun and variety..especially running into a mark IV..so i imagine if i grab a chorus, phaser and wah (to me the last 3 things that would be "essential"..) ill be in heaven..and i kinda agree about the PCP cat thing haha..you can get creative and freaky enough with the pedals / amp i listed above..especially with a guitar like my bfr..so many tonal options.

i am right now building a New rig which will have a Voodoo lab gcx and ground control. Then my mk IV. the idea will be i can switch pedals and my g force in and out and everything will be sitting back in my rack. that way i can have me ts9 and ad-9 and ce-2 on and off with my ground control and then have my g force switch on and off with my Gc too. so i am both.

Latest posts

Back