questions about the ISP G-string... (not underwear)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c.t.d-nicke

Reaction score
Currently I use the MXR 'smart gate' but the pedal does not quite suite me in present unfortunately. I play fairly aggressive metal with a good portion of "start-stop"-stuff.

First off, for the gate (mxr) to cut feedback with this amount of volume and gain, I have to almost dime the knob and this leads to drastic tonal loss.
Second, it is also hard to get a balance between distorted and cleans. When I get a proper cut-off for high gain I get a too hard cut-of for the cleans and vice versa.

I borrowed a friends ISP Decimator for last rehersal and this pedal is PHENOMENAL!

No problem cutting feedback and no noticeable tone loss. But... (there always is one..) I had the same problems with the balance between distorted and clean as with the 'smart gate'.

So, I wondering if any of you guys have tried the ISP G-string?

If I got the info from the ISP-home page right there is some sort of 'signal tracking' going on that makes the devise actually listening for the dynamics from the guitar opposed to just set a threshold ...or ... what...???

This 'tracking'-thing maybe makes it easier to balance the gain/clean situation.

I am only addressing those of you that play a similar style of music that I do and actually tried/use/heard the pedal I'm talking about (ISP G-string), and want no opinions about other noise gates (such the NS2)...thank you..

BTW... The MXR smart gate is a very good noise gate (but not for my situation right now) and I'm gonna keep it for future escapades!

Thank you

/nicke

I get a lot of humming on channels two and three. Does your Decimator take care of any of that? Do you run it through the effects loop?

plapnab said:
Do you run it through the effects loop?

I run the noise gate first, after guitar. If you put the noise gate in the loop you eleminate pre amp noise... I prefer mine in front. I think a Decimator in the loop of your amp will calm the "humming" or I should say, any noise gate of good quality.

/nicke

c.t.d-nicke said:
I had the same problems with the balance between distorted and clean as with the 'smart gate'.

Dude honestly it sounds like you are playing with way too much gain.

I run my gain on Channel 3 on my Recto at 1:30 and I can stand right on front of my amp at band volumes and the ISP
cuts it right off with no feedback whatsoever.

As far as the G-String, its just 2 Decimators in one. So you can run one in the loop and one out in front. Rather impractical for a pedal but in a rackmount version. They both track the same, but the G-String is MUCH more moola.

fluff191 said:
Dude honestly it sounds like you are playing with way too much gain.

I run my gain on Channel 3 on my Recto at 1:30 and I can stand right on front of my amp at band volumes and the ISP
cuts it right off with no feedback whatsoever.

Well... I have pretty much the same gain as you (I'm a tad more towards noon actually), and I have no issue with feedback (with the ISP set somewhere around -40dB if I'm remembering correctly) but rather the balance between clan and distortion. I feel that the ISP is more suitable for this volume/gain situations over the MXR. And my view is that both the ISP and the MXR muffles the clean sound a bit when set to proper cut for the high gain.. and it is here were I ask if the G-string is up for the job and if the G-string can handle for example volume roll back on the guitar without wobbling out.

our drummer is a seriously hard hitting one so the band volume is close to ridiculous..

Thanks for the input fluff!

/nicke

You are going to have to give a little more info. You are just rolling the volume back to get your clean sound?

If you are indeed doing that then yes it will cut off notes due to the input being lower that full volume.

And the regular Decimator is exactly the same as the G-String, just with another loop built into it. Functions just the same. So the only solution is to turn it OFF when you roll back the volume OR get a volume pedal AFTER the
Decimator. Make sense?

fluff191 said:
You are going to have to give a little more info. You are just rolling the volume back to get your clean sound?

If you are indeed doing that then yes it will cut off notes due to the input being lower that full volume.

And the regular Decimator is exactly the same as the G-String, just with another loop built into it. Functions just the same. So the only solution is to turn it OFF when you roll back the volume OR get a volume pedal AFTER the
Decimator. Make sense?
Good... question answered!

No, I'm not rolling back for clean that was just a question regarding the dynamic.

Yes, It makes sense!

Thanks again fluff

/nicke

From what I've heard/read, I believe Fluff isn't 100% correct in his answer.

The advantage that the G-String (and ProRack versions) has over two separate decimators is that it uses the input of the first gate to track both the first and second gate. That way, if you put the first gate early in your chain, the pedal is using your pure guitar signal to more effectively gate both portions of the chain.

That's what ISP says it does...I've spoke to multiple players who rave about this function. I have yet to bother with it myself, as my rig is **** quiet 8)

Eric

haha oh cmon I was close enough!

My overall point was that the regular Decimator will suit most people just fine.

Back