Questions about importing to EU / custom order Mesa's....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cult-Of-Ray

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a LSS soon, a custom if i can afford it, and i am trying to figure out the best way to go about ordering one. I'm actually slightly confused about the custom ordring process, and also whether it is actually worth buying direct/importing or just buying an amp closer to home.

Are there any other EU people here who have placed a custom order before? How did you place your order, directly with Mesa or did you have an EU dealer place the order for you?

Prices are so high here in UK compared to the US prices i have seen, but i'm not sure whether the potential hassle of importing/customs charges etc.. is worth it. I have found some really nice custom LSS's at a German retailer, but they are around 3400 euro's which is a little steep for me right now.

Any thoughts or advice?

If you don't live in the US you have to go through the local dealer/importer as far as I know. Seems logical to me, otherwise MB would be in competition with their own importers.

If you do get a US model shipped to you, watch out for import taxes and fines. Here in Belgium it typically results in almost 33% of the price in total. You'll get a 110v model though, incompatible with the EU power grid so you'll need to take care of that problem as well.

Pinweaver said:
If you don't live in the US you have to go through the local dealer/importer as far as I know. Seems logical to me, otherwise MB would be in competition with their own importers.

If you do get a US model shipped to you, watch out for import taxes and fines. Here in Belgium it typically results in almost 33% of the price in total. You'll get a 110v model though, incompatible with the EU power grid so you'll need to take care of that problem as well.

The above statement is definitely correct regarding going through the autorized Mesa-rep.

But, ordering a custom model (which I have done myself) does not mean You have to get a 110 volt version. As we all know Mesa also make versions for EU power, and it's no difference if You order an amp speifically made for You.

CJG

Another option might be a trip to the US and taking back a mesa with you. Hopefully you'll find the model you want in stock at a local music store where you would be on vacation. Though this would pretty much kill the idea of a custom jobber. :cry:

Flights to New York can be pretty cheap in low season and is geographically closer to Europe, so less air-time.

I'm originally from California, now living in Spain, so just about everytime I buy a major piece of equipment, I wait till I go home to visit family and I bring it back with me. I even had some friends, who were coming to Spain on vacation, bring me 2 EV loaded Boogie Thieles that I ordered online and had sent to my mom's house. They passed customs with no problems, and no charges!! :wink:

And I've never been hit with charges, all the times I've gone through customs here in the Madrid Airport, and that has been a lot!

Good luck!
:D

Almost forgot, I also have an LSS head, but this one I bought here in Spain, I heard it and I couldn't wait till I visited home! :twisted:

Thanks for the advice guys. That makes sense about the custom orders, i just wasn't sure about the specifics. I will get in touch with a UK dealer next and see if i can get some prices. The idea of a vacation is somewhat appealing though i have to admit!

At the end of the day i won't be too dissapointed if i have to buy a standard version, i played a LSS a week ago, and it was really something incredible. I took advice from some guys on here as to what amps i should look at for my requirements (i am a new guitar player, but long time bassist) and they were absolutely right about it. I came very close to laying down the cash right there, but the thought of having a custom made is something that really appeals to me.

Ah well, just have to see how it goes now i guess, thanks again for the help! I'll be sure to post here if i do get my custom!

Latest posts

Back