Questions about 2:90

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yakim

Reaction score
hello, about 5 months ago I bought Triaxis and really fast i understand that I'm using 20% of it because i didn't have poweramp.
now, last week I bought 2:90 and now i need cabinet.
my Q's is:
1.Is it true that if i will buy Marshall 2*12 (65W+65W ),the speakers will ruin??
2.Is it true that that i must used the 2:90 as a stereo?

thanks for the help
and sorry about my english.

As long as you don't crank the volume on the 2:90 (You probably won't be able to do it anyway, since 2x65W is LOUD) you are probably safe with that cab. On the other hand, I think you won't get the full Mesa sound without Celestions Vintage 30 speakers, which is a shame, since with the Triaxis and the 2:90 you get almost as good as it gets otherwise.

About using only one channel, in the 2:90 manual it says that you can use only one channel, if you don't plug anything in the input for the unused channel and if you turn the volume to zero and presence to full.

thanks for the answer but i still dont understand why the technician said that 65w*+65w sill not be enough??
i really not familiar with electricity stuff :oops:

btw, in the future i'll buy Celestions Vintage 30 speakers-i dont have money for everything :lol:

Is the cab stereo ? If it is, yes it's not enough, 65W cab for a 90W amp.
If it's not stereo it's ok, it makes a 130w cab.

A 90 watt amp will not damage a 65 watt speaker unless you are running it LOUD LOUD LOUD. At sane volumes it won't even break a sweat.

Bottom line is that you can use it anyway you like it: If you want to use stereo, go ahead, you will not damage the speakers unles you go REALLY loud. If you have no need for stereo, use only one channel of the 2:90 with the cab, it will still be extremely loud and the cab will be just fine.

thank you guys.
but are you guys really sure about this whole stereo and watt subject?
the technician that replace the electricity on my 2:90 is one of the best tube amp technician in my country,so i'm really confused :(

btw, what do you think about this cab?

http://www.framus.de/modules/produkte/produkt.php?submenuID=14172&katID=11076&cl=EN

thanks again

Yes, theoreticaly you should not use a speaker with lower wattage than the amp. But again, you will probably never use the full 90 W, so you should be safe. If you are concerned and do not want to take any chance, go with the mono setup.

Hello,
I recently bought a Triaxis V2, TC G-Force and two cab Electro Voice EVM 12L.
I need now the best power amp for the Triaxis. Of course, everyone knows that's the 2:90, but my problem is I often play in a small room. I know there is the 20/20, but it isn't a "Switch Track amp" like the 2:90. So, my question is if the 2:90 works good at low volume. Is it a big difference between low volume and higher ?

Well, the 2:90 is very loud! But at moderate volumes it still sounds incredible with the TriAxis :D

About the Watt-question; it's two sided.
In my recording studio you need a poweramp with a higher wattage than the speakers. This is because digital clipping (when there is no sinusoid wave but in blocks) of the poweramp, destroys the speakers and poweramp.
With a tube poweramp there is no digital clipping and no worry to destroy your stuff.
Unless you turn the 2:90 at full power (are you insane?...) and feed it some low wattage speakers.

Back