Questions about 2:90+triaxis

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yakim

Reaction score
O.K I'm finally happy to say that i have everything i dreamed about amps.
in February-i bought the Triaxis but then i understood that i need 2:90 to really "taste" the Triaxis ,so couple of months ago i bought the 2:90 :) . last week i got the Framus 4*12 (with vintage 30's) .

But..

when i plugged everything as the "Triaxis Manual" says and play, the sound was really "buzzy" and not "Images & Words"(I'm DREAM THEATER freaks-how surprising ,huh??) at all-and I'm asking "why"?? :(

i know that there is the option of the "record input" but i dont understand why Triaxis through 2:90 through 4*12 cabinet is not enough?

thanks for the help!!

BTW
i really want to thanks this awesome place-you guys helped me with every question i ever had (and also so fast)

thanks again..

A little more info would help us help you. :D
What are your settings, how exactly do you have the cables hooked up, and what the hell is a record "input". If you are running this setup though a mono cab you should have one cable(instrument, not speaker) running from output A on the tri to the input A on the 290. Make sure that the 290 is switched to instrument not line. Run one cable (speaker, not instrument) from channel A on the 290 to your cab making sure to match impedance. The demo settings in the manual will steer you in the right direction as far as proper amounts of gain, bass, etc.

ryjan said:
A little more info would help us help you. :D
What are your settings, how exactly do you have the cables hooked up, and what the hell is a record "input". If you are running this setup though a mono cab you should have one cable(instrument, not speaker) running from output A on the tri to the input A on the 290. Make sure that the 290 is switched to instrument not line. Run one cable (speaker, not instrument) from channel A on the 290 to your cab making sure to match impedance. The demo settings in the manual will steer you in the right direction as far as proper amounts of gain, bass, etc.

thank u very much for the answer.
the settings of the Triaxis are basically like John Petrucci settings which I found on the internet.

my cabinet is stero one -this one :

http://www.framus.de/modules/produkte/produkt.php?submenuID=14172&katID=11065&cl=EN

I tried to hooked up the the cables with the schema that you can see in the Triaxis Manuals
page 28,29 and 30
http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/Triaxis.pdf

BTW : i'm using the "line switch" on the 2:90

:) sorry i meant the "RECORD JACKS"

thanks again

miki

Hookup should be:

The A and B outputs from the Triaxis (not the Recording outputs) go to the Input 1 and Input 2 on the 2:Ninety. Set for Line.

Typically, with a stereo 4x12 cabinet, you use two of the 4 ohm outputs from the 2:Ninety -- one from channel A and one from channel b (either of the two jacks -- doesn't matter). Use two good speaker cables.

You need to connect three short instrument cables from the triaxis's switch outputs 1, 2, and 3 to the 2:90's deep, modern, and half drive jacks. The fourth jack on the triaxis is unused.

Set the volume for each channel at around 10:00, and set both concentric knobs on the far right of the Triaxis to around 10:00 as well.

You should hear beautiful Boogie tone, and definitely the stuff of Petrucci and Metallica as well. If not, something may be broken.

Scott

hello again guys,

As you already figured , i'm really new with all the mesa stuff and i'm trying to figure out the options, meanwhile,not successfully :(

I purchased Triaxis preamp, 2:90 power amp and Framus 4*12 cabinet( with celestion vintage 30)

when i'm playing i'm feeling that isn't not the sound the i supposed to hear- yes, it's loud but still...i feel that the sound have lack with drive and "balls" and my settings are on the modern switch/lead 2/with full gain. -what do you think is the problem ? - do you think i need to play on full volume on the 2:90 [it's problem for me....you know...neighbors :) ]?

when i'm trying to play solo...again..it doesn't have the gain and the "balls" i mention above,and the sound is buzzy

i'm also trying to play with Petrucci's setting or different YouTube users setting-but i'm not getting the aggressive sound that i spoused to get.

I gave today the Triaxis to some technician in my country who is considered the most expert in
Mesa stuff.
we checked the sound with the Triaxis and my 2:90 -and we understand that the Triaxis has the problem- lack of gain(no balls as I like to say)-with 10 gain,buzzy sound.

He said that he will compare between another Triaxis and will give conclusions soon...

now..
1. what do you think may be the problem??
2. was I wrong all over the years and the triaxis should be sound buzzy with lack of gain??

Thanks guy for the help

Mickey

What kind of guitar and pickup are you playing? Have you ever played through a tube amp before? What was another amp you have played that had the tone you are trying to get?

i'm playing with Musicman JP6 with the D-sonic and the Air Norton, Ibanez RG with Steve's special and air norton, Ibanez RG 7420 with D-sonic7 and Air Norton7.

I played through some tube amps before, but not to much.

I want the Petrucci sound on LTE 1 -and i'm pretty sure that he using Triaxis+290 on that album.

Keep in mind that he is also using an eq, $7,000 in eventide effects and studio magic. Check this video out to get an idea of his live rig. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot-zal0DAu4

i know that,thanks though.

the petrucci tone is not the issue right now.
the problem now is the lack of gain that my triaxis has.

Don't know where the lack of gain comes from. Just bought my new Triaxis and 2:90 a few weeks ago. It has all the gain I need and then some. Got it in the rack with my Mark III. It is a hell of a metal rig. You must have something wrong. Emulating Petrucci or anyone else isn't high on my list of things though. However, this rig oozes so much early Metallica its crazy.

Steve

well ,it looks like I'll have to wait foe the technician diagnosis.

I really hope that he will find a problem :D

yakim said:
to be honest, no

I know that the tubes are pretty new.

new tubes don't mean good tubes. A new one can go bad and old ones can hang in there for years and sound great.

The first step when I'm dealing with things sounding weak and buzzy, check the preamp tubes. Preamp tubes are pretty cheap so if it works then you haven't spent much to fix the issue.

steve_k said:
how are you wired up?

steve

I wired it like the Triaxis Manual said.

Turumbar82 said:
yakim said:
to be honest, no

I know that the tubes are pretty new.

new tubes don't mean good tubes. A new one can go bad and old ones can hang in there for years and sound great.

The first step when I'm dealing with things sounding weak and buzzy, check the preamp tubes. Preamp tubes are pretty cheap so if it works then you haven't spent much to fix the issue.

o.k
i'll try that
do you have any suggestion for good tubes ?

I'd check V4's preamp tube.....That's the lead 2 input, so simply switch V1 and V4, and see if it is still doing it. If it is, obviously the tube you moved to V1 is bad.

Look in your manual....There's a page were it shows the tubes. 5 of them and they are labeled V1, V2, V3, V4, V5.

Back