Questions about 2:90+triaxis

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well the technician told me that he compared my Triaxis with another Triaxis that belongs to some famous Israeli guuitar player. He said that my Triaxis sound even better,with more sustain.

tell me, am I wrong and the regular Triaxis sound (only Triaxis and 2:90 and 4*12) isn't with "balls" as i always expected???

Does a Mark IV have balls? If you agree that it does, then yes, so does a Triaxis/2:Ninety rig.

I just went back to re-read your speaker info... I now think I have figured out your problem -- it will explain the lack of balls, and also why you may destroy your amp!... the problem most likely has to do with the Framus cabinet.

Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 412 cabinets are rated at 4 ohms per side when run in stereo (and 8 ohms mono), but the Framus in stereo is rated at 16 ohms per side. This is a HUGE difference, and one that is incompatible for stereo operation.

The 2:Ninety only drives 4 and 8 ohm loads. In a tube amp, you can't safely connect a 4 or 8 ohm output to a 16 ohm cabinet... this mismatch can damage your amp, cut a lot of power, and mess with the sound.

To hear what your amp SHOULD sound like, you're going to have to run in mono, as follows:
1. Disconnect the second input to the 2:Ninety -- unplug that cable from the Triaxis to the amp.
2. On the front of the 2:Ninety, on channel B, set the volume at MINIMUM and set the presence at MAXIMUM.
3. Set your cabinet for MONO.
4. Connect one speaker cable from channel A's 8 ohm output to either of the inputs on your speaker cabinet.

Assuming you haven't already damaged the 2:Ninety, you should hear your tone with balls, but of course you're in mono and only using half of the power amp. Once you hear how great this rig SHOULD sound, you have two options:

1. Sell the Framus cab and replace with a Mesa/Boogie Rectifier cabinet.
2. Buy a second Framus cab and run each cab at 8 ohms mono into each side of the power amp. The 2:Ninety is powerful enough for stadium gigs :).

WHEW! Please tell me that I just figured out your problem. It will make my day.

Scott

The 2:Ninety only drives 4 and 8 ohm loads. In a tube amp, you can't safely connect a 4 or 8 ohm output to a 16 ohm cabinet... this mismatch can damage your amp, cut a lot of power, and mess with the sound.

Are you sure about that? I had thought you could go higher on the rating (16 into an 8 ohm) and the only problem would be less output.
You just can't put a 4 ohm load into a 8 ohm input ect....

Maybe I am wrong?

Now your scaring me a little bit. The 2:90 manual says to plug two 8 ohm cabs into the two 4 ohm jacks on the 2:90. Or, two 16 ohm cabs into a y-cable and in to one 8 ohm jack on the 2:90. This is where I get confused....If I did that, I wouldn't be running in stereo anymore....unless I buy 2 more cabs and have 4 total going. My Marshall cabs only provide 16 and 4 ohm.....8 for using in stereo. So I have to use the 16 ohm jacks on the Cabs, I then plug into the two 8 ohm jacks on the 2:90. I don't see any other option.....

The Y-cable that Boogie talks about: That's because two 16 ohm loads together = 8 ohms, so you get the 8 ohm output driving 8 ohms of speaker impedance. It is always recommended to match the ohm rating on tube amps. Either more OR less impedance results in a loss of power output from a tube amp.

So do my test -- run the amp in mono and you'll have an 8 ohm match between the amp and your cabinet. See if your sound gains the balls you think it is missing. This is the only way to properly match your single cabinet to the 2:Ninety.

Scott

Latest posts

Back