Question: Tube rattle

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeoBull

Reaction score
I have a 6 month old LSC that hasn't been used heavily (I use my LSS more). I am hearing rattle when I play; it seems to definitely be tubes. I'm assuming it's power tubes.

Here's the basic info:

-Rattle is more pronounced for certain notes
-Rattle does not come through the spearkers; i.e. I only hear the rattling behind the amp
-I've tapped on the power tubes; none of them makes noies that comes through the speakers. Two of them (2 on the right facing the back of amp) seem to rattle more than the other 2.

Does this seem like power tube rattle? I'll get some time to test with new tubes sometime this week. I just wanted to get some quick thoughts on it.

Thanks as always.

See my thread titled "I finally own a Mesa"

I brought my amp back to the place I got it. The guy took the first tube out and you could hear the stuff inside the tube jingle around inside. The other tube wasn't really doing anything. He replaced both tubes. I guess that's good practice to replace all of your power tubes, not just one... (someone should should verify this or correct me please)

Anyways I would describe my problem (as I did in my other thread) as hearing two empty glasses rattle against each other behind the amp on low volume clean channel. Distortion covered it up well.

I got new tubes and that issue is completely resolved.

What I do is pull the tube out and shake it gently at my ear level. If you hear stuffs rattling then that's the issue. If all your tubes checked out and you still hear rattling then it can be many things.
All my combos rattle at certain level and frequency however. Think about it, you have mass of air pressure (speaker) flasts right into a metal box with bunch of stuff in and on it.

I had a similar problem with the Expres 5:25 and found that it was the metallic support over the el84 power tubes. I found, mod and try a different one from a local amp repair shop and now those ones seems fine.
The buzz/rattle is gone.

I had the same problem. I went to this link, problem solved. Not expensive and very nice people. They have different sizes for different tubes. And I got the lead here on the forum.
Art

http://cgi.ebay.com/VACUUM-TUBE-AMP-DAMPER-EL34-6CA7-KT77-6L6WGB-DAMPENER_W0QQitemZ350011325915QQihZ022QQcategoryZ64629QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Could it be microphonic output tube(s)? It sounds like it the way you describe the noise and how it comes and goes. I had this problem. I found my stock 6L6 tubes to be microphonic when I bought the amp, especially on the high E string playing a G or adding vibrato to a G note. Other notes and chords seemed ok. I changed tubes to the Winged "C" SED 6L6GC tube and problem solved. Also tried the Ruby 6L6GC and they were fine as well.

Go behind your amp and listen closely where the noise is coming from when you play the offending note. If that doesn't work try taking out the output tubes then the preamp tubes one at a time until you isolate the offending tube. If its more than one tube of course then substitution would be best but before you buy new tubes try to listen then substitute.

Some tubes are just more noisy and I found the Mesa 6L6 to be pretty bad in that dept. The problem with putting non-Mesa tubes is that Boogies are fixed bias so other brand tubes will sound cold or hot depending on their spec. I found the Winged C's to be pretty solid and harmonically rich.

The Tubestore has some online reviews of various tubes that I used and found pretty helpful. Don't have to buy from them of course.
http://thetubestore.com/6l6review.html

Rich at Mesa has sent me new output tubes; I'll try them soon. He was kind enough to include a bunch of spare preamp tubes and fuses.

Customer service from Mesa has always been great for me

Hi, I am new to the Boogie Board and have a question regarding one of your boogie amps the Mark IIC+.

I would like to know what power tubes should I put into this amp as a replacement. I have the head in the 60 watt format with REVERB.

This has been a problem for me with several tube amps and even a solid state amp. In my experience many tubes rattle and I don't think that necessarily means the tubes are bad. However it is annoying as heck.

I think I am about to convert my F-50 combo into a head/ cab configuration. It should be pretty easy. Basically 4 screws hold the amp electronics in place so I will probably do it this weekend.

I had the same problem with my rectoverb with different brand tube. I solve my problem by putting Duende Criatura tube rings. It really works.

http://thetubestore.com/tuberings.html

Ibanez said:
I had the same problem with my rectoverb with different brand tube. I solve my problem by putting Duende Criatura tube rings. It really works.

a much cheaper and effective way to reduce tube vibration is to wrap the tube in a heat shrink tubing. I've never done it on power tube though, just pre tube.

RONIN said:
Hi, I am new to the Boogie Board and have a question regarding one of your boogie amps the Mark IIC+.

I would like to know what power tubes should I put into this amp as a replacement. I have the head in the 60 watt format with REVERB.

Welcome to the board. You may want to make a new post for your topic but my suggestion is to go to either dougstubes.com or eurotubes.com and talk to those guys. Very helpfull. I've used both places for my tubes on several amps.

ja22y said:
Ibanez said:

a much cheaper and effective way to reduce tube vibration is to wrap the tube in a heat shrink tubing. I've never done it on power tube though, just pre tube.

The power tubes need to dissipate the heat. I don't think shrink tube can be appropiate for them.

Latest posts

Back