QUESTION (Please Help if possible)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrodd321

Reaction score
I have a question about my Triple Rec. I got it back in December and everything was going fine since i recently started to notice something. When i turn my volume up for channel 2 and 3 (the distortion ones) it barley goes loud at all, while when the clean is turned up it goes really loud. Is this just simple tube replacement job? I mean i am hearing a difference because when i turn the Mesa up to 10 it sounds like my Marshall JMC 2000 head on like 2. Can anyone help?

Thanks in Advance

John

hi there this might be an obvious reply,have you set your fx ,loop properly,this has to be up in order for you to use the master volume control and solo function,turn the controls for this right the way up and see uf the problem is still there,if so emmmmmmm,sell it for a microwave,nah I really wouldnt kno I would probably say the power stage in the amp isnt running as should,how high is you r preamp volumes???
and how low is your output vol.

hope any of this helps

Euan

Thanks for the help but the solo thing is working. This is what happens. The master is on like 5. And as i turn the regular volume up for the gain channel there is a substantial increase from like 1-5, then from 5-10 it barley goes up more.

So then, try dis-engaging the loop (hard bypass switch), and use the channel masters, to see if the problem persists!

jbird,you got there bfore me,yeh try doin that,then you'll see if there is a problem with your gain channels,I think Im right in saying if there is a problem here then its your preamp,try gettin some new preamp tubes(12ax7's).If not then I would seek a tech out as thats about all you could really do yourself.....some one else on here might be better like emmmm boogiebabies he really knows hism stuff when it comes to techin

cya Euan

jbird said:
So then, try dis-engaging the loop (hard bypass switch), and use the channel masters, to see if the problem persists!

Yes it keeps persisting!! GRR!! I feel like im not getting that MESA sound and it sounds like when i turn it up its like already at it's limits at like 5 or 6. It starts to get really pushy and what happens is wierd. I'll play a chord (with it on like 6) and it'll be loud for 1 second then go soft right away after.

This pisses me off so much cuz i spent like 2100 on this thing and it isnt living up to its potential!!!!!

If your clean channel is loud, then that rules out output tubes and effects loop, unless you are turning off the loop when you got the clean channel.

I would get some replacement preamp tubes, and starting with V2 and start replacing them one at a time to see if you find a bad one. Reason i say to skip V1 is because that is input for all three channels and since you say your clean is working fine more then likley that preamp tube is fine.

Exmaple, Replace V2 if the problem still persists put back in the original and then replace V3, if the problem still persists replace the original V3 and try replacing V4 and then if still bad try V5. If the problem still there then try replacing them all just in case you have more then one that is bad.

Reason you do it this way instead of replacing all right away is, if you replace one at a time you can find the bad tube so you can throw it out. Plus also helps you down the road if all of a sudden you have the same problem you can tell if it is the same tube burning out, if it is might be a problem with that stage and would help a tech locate the problem quicker.

If non of this works, and you have removed the loop completly, checked your speaker cable and make sure all connections are right. If this does not fix the problem then I would bring it to get serviced, if it is brand new it should be under warrenty, if you bought it used, well that is the price you pay sometimes for saving money instead of buying a new one.

PS- also check all your input cables, I use to have an issue where I could hear the volume swell, not major, but I could only hear this on the channels with distortion, and it ended up one of my patch cables was going bad.
jrodd321 said:
jbird said:

Yes it keeps persisting!! GRR!! I feel like im not getting that MESA sound and it sounds like when i turn it up its like already at it's limits at like 5 or 6. It starts to get really pushy and what happens is wierd. I'll play a chord (with it on like 6) and it'll be loud for 1 second then go soft right away after.

This pisses me off so much cuz i spent like 2100 on this thing and it isnt living up to its potential!!!!!

If 1st your channel masters/rear panel effects send/return levels/and your master outputs are all set properly, then I'd go to power tubes! If this thing was purchased in Dec; don't worry, Mesa warrants they're tubes for six months, they'll handle ya!

jrodd321 said:
I have a question about my Triple Rec. I got it back in December and everything was going fine since i recently started to notice something. When i turn my volume up for channel 2 and 3 (the distortion ones) it barley goes loud at all, while when the clean is turned up it goes really loud. Is this just simple tube replacement job? I mean i am hearing a difference because when i turn the Mesa up to 10 it sounds like my Marshall JMC 2000 head on like 2. Can anyone help?

Thanks in Advance

John

Call Mesa . You have a warranty . 707 778 6565

Barry said:
jrodd321 said:

Thanks in Advance

John

Call Mesa . You have a warranty . 707 778 6565

+1 that is what a warranty is for... :D

This is still going on and getting really annoying. I take it back to Guitar Center (where i bought it) and then tell me how beautifully its working ect ect and i get so pissed cuz i bring it home and it sucks. I mean i have 3 cabs (2 B-52's, and one Marshall) and it is still doing that thing on all of them.

To describe the problem, when i hit the first chord, its really loud. Then all the strumming after is softer than the first.

I'm thinking if i just get a Mesa bottom it'll stop because thats what they play it on when i bring it there when they check it.

I doubt it.

You don't seem to have really listened to the really good posts about the warranty

+

Was it used?

Matterra said:
I doubt it.

You don't seem to have really listened to the really good posts about the warranty

+

Was it used?
Ok. When i call Mesa what do i say to them?

And no, it was brand new

jrodd321 said:
Matterra said:
I doubt it.

+

Was it used?
Ok. When i call Mesa what do i say to them?

And no, it was brand new

The best thing to do is give them a call . you will probably get a voice mail of one of the guys with artist relations . They will ask you to leave your number and the best time to call you . It would be good if you could have your rig set up when they call then they can help trouble shoot it . They are on the west coast so there may be a time differnce according to where you live . They are open monday - Thursday 707 -778 6565

I've seen behavior like this result from bad rectifier tubes. Try swapping them one at a time.

ThunderMonkey said:
I mean i have 3 cabs (2 B-52's, and one Marshall) and it is still doing that thing on all of them.

:?: You're not using all 3 cabs at the same time, are you :?:

No i run it through the marshall mostly. I just mean ive tried it through each of them individually.

http://community.webshots.com/album/559917032XKxEfC

Here are some pictures of it. Is anything wrong with the settings?

Latest posts

Back