Question for Lone Star owners (power tube retainers?)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 1198

Reaction score
I saw a rear view picture of a 2x12 Lone Star combo amp on eBay. I noticed that the power tubes have some kind of retainers on them.

My Lone Star doesn't have these retainers.

Do any of you Lone Star owners have these on your power tubes? Was I supposed to get these with my amp?

Here is the picture that I'm talking about:
RearLonestar.jpg

Mine did not come with those. It is possible that they are aftermarket installed by the user. Maybe Boogie now includes them? Anyhow, mine doesn't have them.

Jack

My doesn't have those for sale but I've seen them before.

2 screws next to the tube socket, springs attach to that and cup the tube.

A nice investmet of you transport your amp in bumpy conditions.

Interesting...I wonder if those retainers help cut down on tube rattle?

I'm glad to hear that I wasn't gipped out of something that should have come with the amp.

Thanks for the replies!

HI All,
I had the little horse shoe clip style retainers.
I added the spring style, I figure If i invest $100+ in tubes, I would invest 5.00 in some good safe retainers. I I havent heard any sonic difference between them.
steve

I have a Lonestar Special, and have blown it out TWICE by having a power tube cocked past being perpendicular.
I don't know how deep the pins are penetrating the tube socket, but know that if you haphazardly pull the power cable out to plug it in, and bump one of the power tubes, you risk blowing the fuse and possibly one of the power tubes.

Also, a 68 ohm, 1 watt resistor does not like it when one of these power tubes does not stay perpendicular with the chassis.

This is just my personal experience. I really enjoy my LSS, but I wish that
a mechanical engineer had looked over the back of that thing, keeping in mind the power tubes and AC cable.

Latest posts

Back