Question about Roadking II

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a Roadking Series II. I bought about a year ago brand new. My problem is that I can't get my channel one to get nearly as a loud as my channel three and four. I have my channel one running with all 6 tubes and I made sure that it was on cabinet a on the fat setting. I have it cranked all the way up and the other channels at about half. It's exactly the same with my channel two. I also have a hard time keeping it clean. The channel often breaks up if play too hard. Is there something wrong with my amp or is it just me?

I played a Express in the stores and I was surprised how loud the clean channel was and how much headroom it had before it broke up. I guess I just expected my clean channel to sound, well... clean.

My Roadster is the same. For a real squeaky clean the gain needs to be low, and if you are using the FX loop you also have to watch the channel master as to not clip the effects in the loop.

My solution was to use the Solo feature as an additional volume control for my cleans. I've found a great compromise where my solo setting brings my clean volume up to a usable level, and still is usable for boosting lead tones.

I use Tweed for my cleans as I do not want squeaky cleans anyway.

If clean tones are your top priority then you may want to try a lower gain tube for V1 also.

Dom

SeaweedChampion said:
I have a Roadking Series II. I bought about a year ago brand new. My problem is that I can't get my channel one to get nearly as a loud as my channel three and four. I have my channel one running with all 6 tubes and I made sure that it was on cabinet a on the fat setting. I have it cranked all the way up and the other channels at about half. It's exactly the same with my channel two. I also have a hard time keeping it clean. The channel often breaks up if play too hard. Is there something wrong with my amp or is it just me?

I played a Express in the stores and I was surprised how loud the clean channel was and how much headroom it had before it broke up. I guess I just expected my clean channel to sound, well... clean.

Don't run the gain channel volumes at half, lower them to 9 or 10-ish. For the clean channel put the volume at around 3 and the gain around 11-12 depending on how hot your pickups are.

I thought about using the solo, but often times I forget to turn it off when i switch to a higher gain channel.

What do you mean by a "lower gain tube for V1?"

Wouldn't cutting my volumes on my higher gain channels reduce the amount I'm pushing the tubes? I can't get my gain to 11 or 12 on my clean channel because it starts to break up around there. I'm not using hot pickups. They're stock Ibanez pickups they shipped in the 550 reissues.

yeah i realized that after about 10 minutes. Swapping that out wouldn't effect any other channels would it?

Your input gain tube (V1) will effect the entire preamp. Don't let the "low gain' thing scare you. The Recto series have a lot of gain, and this might just do the trick for you, or maybe not. Only your ears can deciede. Give it a try, the price of a pre-amp tube is very cheap, especially compared to stomp boxes and such.

Dom

Latest posts

Back