QUESTION ABOUT MESA STUDIO PREAMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalblitz84

Reaction score
I have a friend who is selling a sudio preamp and while I was looking up details on the web for it I found this wiki on it. Is what it says about the studio preamp true or this this just a rumor. I will include what it says along with the source:

Studio Preamp

In the late 80's Mesa Boogie introduced the 2 space rack mounted Studio Preamp as a tool for direct recording of electric guitar. The preamp was originally marketed as being based off the Mark IIC design but there is evidence that it is closer to a IIC+ in its circuitry and tone than a IIC. Most notably its gain levels are more similar to that of a IIC+. In any event the controls of the Studio Preamp are similar to the IIC/C+ design. There are two channels, Rhythm and Lead that share a Volume, Bass, Mid, and Treble tone shaping control. The Lead Channel has a Drive and Master Volume control. The Studio Preamp also utilizes the Mark II era EQ and a few other switches to further shape the tone. Other features include an effects loop and reverb.

The sales life of the Studio Preamp did not last long probably to make way for their flagship preamp, the Triaxis. But, as rumor would have it among Mesa fanatics, the real reason Mesa discontinued the Studio Preamp was that it was such a great sounding and popular preamp it stole sales from their regular amp line and was bad for business. There are those who claim the Studio Pre was the best sounding preamp section of any amp Mesa Boogie ever made. Of course this is subjective. The most recognized users of the Studio Pre were Pete Townsend of The Who and Kurt Cobain of Nirvana.

and the source:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesa_Boogie#Studio_Preamp

If anybody else has any information on the history on this amp and how good it is in your opinion, please feel free to share. Thanks!!!

i use my studio with a 50/50 power amp.fantastic tone and very flexible.do,se it all from fender twang to marshall crunch.great amp.my other amp is a 1975 hiwatt custom 100.purer tone,but you need pedals to shape it.love em both.

I like how it said that they discontinued it because it was stealing sales from their other amp lines. That doesn't make sense to me because the profit goes to one place anyways, why would they discontinue something that was so good?

I've heard good things about it, but I wouldn't buy it upon hearing Townshend's or Cobain's tone.

Latest posts

Back