Question about Mesa Boogie Recto's?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scary Guy IRL

Reaction score
Ok i have a question regarding the rectifer series from mesa.

When i was in LA, i played a Single, Dual and Triple recto. I played them for about the same amount of time, a good 30-60 mins, with alot of tinkerin'. The single i played at a low volume, and i was absoloutly blown away by this tone i was getting, it made me wan't a mesa soooo bad. When i played the Dual Recto, it sounded fairly good, but it was nothing special, the same with the Triple, It was fairly mediocre. My question is, how do the 3 channel versions of the DR and TR if they were cut down to 2 power tubes (The same as the SR). I've heard storys about the 2 channel Dual and triple recto's sounding alot better, is this true?

Thanks in advance.
-Scary Guy IRL-

Some people like it, some people don't, but if you're planning on getting a 3ch Recto and dropping it down to 50w, don't waste money on a Triple, just get a Dual.

I donno. You'd have to try it for yourself.

A Dual's power transformer is designed to support 100w, so it won't sound quite the same as a Single. But then again, if you weren't playing very loud you probably weren't sagging the transformer anyway.

Single Recs are excellent, you can probably find one on ebay for $800

I like the singles more also. But I also have done the 50w thing with my dual back before I sold it. It made a big improvement, but still didn't have a good clean channel in my opinion. You really don't need the triple recto. 150w is absolutely insane, and I can promise you, you will never need that much power unless you plan on playing stadium size arenas with out a PA system. I have also heard that the triple wasn't exactly designed to pull tubes like you can with the dual.... but that was off of another posting and I'm not sure if that is correct or not.

The Single RV's I don't believe are just 50 watt versions of the Dual and Triples, they seem voiced a bit different. If you like the Single RV's, go with it, pulling tubes on a Dual or Triple will not re-voice it, it simply moves the "poweband" lower.

I use my Single for my cleans.... But for distortion, without peeling the audience's skin off with high volumes.... I'd go for the Single....

It breaks up at lower volumes *duh, it's 50 watts*.... but it's a LOUD 50 watts!!! :D

Keep on rockin!!!

Lance

Just traded in my Recto Series 2 head w/ 2x12 bottom. The amp was ABSOLUTELY LOUD. Too much for me. For metal / high gain it is one fantastic amp. Just so you know, the guy at GC showed me the new Mesa retail prices. The RV head, brand new, retail 799.00. Mesa had a major price break on these bad boys. I have a feeling they may be discontinued soon. Please note, I said I have a "feeling" and "maybe" discontinued. But even if they do, who cares. They're a great "high gain" amp and new you get a 5 year warranty. If you're thinking about getting one, this is the time. The amp definitely has balls. Too bad, my rig was only 9 months old, totally mint with a transferable warranty. I would have rather sold it to you for the 750.00 that GC gave me for the top and bottom. But, too late now.

Play well! Bob

Latest posts

Back