Question about LSC

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zap!

Reaction score
Alright so, I'm new to this forum (Yay me) and after getting into Andy Timmons and hearing good reviews about it (More specifically from a friend of mine telling me to save up for a Mesa) I fell in love with how the LSC's clean channel sounded. I do like the drive/lead channel also, but it has that kind of bite to it that I'm not really looking for.

So I guess the question I'm having aside from the obvious answer of EQing the guitar. Is there any way I can get a really fat, smooth sound like a Marshall Plexi? Looking for that Cream, Hendrix, and even how Eric Johnson sounds on his Marshall.

If its a tube change that I'd need, would I have to exchange all tubes to get the drive/lead channel I'm seeking, and if so, would it take away from the clean channel?

Thanks,

Matt.

I would venture to say that the LSC's lead ch is not going to produce the "plexi" thing. Sure, try the tube swap (El-34's). I've done it and the clean ch doesn't suffer hardly at all.

The big complaint of LSC owners is the muddiness of ch 2. For higher gain, run the drive higher than the gain, and keep the gain no higher than 12:00. Also keeping the bass & mids below 12:00(maybe 10:00) and treble & presence above 12:00(maybe 1:00). 50w, with speakers plugged in the 4 ohm plug. These are my favorite drive settings. Of course I have done the Reeder mods to improve the overall clarity of ch2.

plan-x said:
I would venture to say that the LSC's lead ch is not going to produce the "plexi" thing. Sure, try the tube swap (El-34's). I've done it and the clean ch doesn't suffer hardly at all.

The big complaint of LSC owners is the muddiness of ch 2. For higher gain, run the drive higher than the gain, and keep the gain no higher than 12:00. Also keeping the bass & mids below 12:00(maybe 10:00) and treble & presence above 12:00(maybe 1:00). 50w, with speakers plugged in the 4 ohm plug. These are my favorite drive settings. Of course I have done the Reeder mods to improve the overall clarity of ch2.

Alright, thanks for the info.

I did read up on the Reeder mod, and it looks like something worth trying to see how it benefits me.

I guess I'll venture over to my guitar dealership and fiddle around and see if the Mesa is really right for me.

To my ears the LSC sounds like an LSC. If you're looking for a Cream , EJ , Hendrix kind of sound why don't you get a Marshall . In my opinion every piece of gear does what it does , and if you want something different from it you're going to take an endless road of changing tubes , speakers ... that takes tons of time and money.

Also , the type of sound that you're after it's based on power amp distortion and low wattage speakers ( celestion greenbacks , Hendrix and EJ) and the LSC it's a master volume amp . Maybe you can check-out John Surh amps . He's got some models based on marshall with modern stuff ( two channels , fx loop ...)

Hope that helps

I had really good luck with the Radial Plexitube on Ch.1 I used CH2 for low gain stuff, and used a TC Vintage compressor for a more Alt Country sound. Great amp. Test drive an Electradyne.

Back