Quad vs Studio vs Triaxis

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmt

Reaction score
Which of these is the best? I am leaing towards the Quad, since it seems I can get the most usability out of it. I have read some not-so good things about the TRiaxis having to do with the chipsin inside, poor control resolution, and harshness.

Whats the difference between the Quad and the Studio in terms of sound?

This topic has been discussed to death. Search is your friend. If you think this is a black and white comparison I believe you will be mistaken.

Greg

I think all 3 would be good depending on your needs. If you want a really controllable and versatile rig the Triaxis would be best. If you want one kick *** clean and lead tone ala the IIC+ then the Studio Pre is your best bet. If you want a little more verstility than the Studio offers and don't mind the 4U space it takes up then go Quad.

I think the Quad and Studio are very similar though some say they like the Studio a hair better. But the Quad gives you the Mark III tone as well as the IIC+. Some people love the Triaxis and some think its not as toneful as the Studio or Quad.

I think I want a Quad. I have the space. I'll just have to ditch the DOD Stereo Compressor and the 15 band EQ. Darn. I'll just use those on my recording setup. I'll have to wait for this tho. Uncle Sam needs his money soon.

The Quad has reverb and is a killer preamp.
Here is mine.

quad666.jpg

EdgeOfDarkness said:
The Quad has reverb and is a killer preamp.
Here is mine.

quad666.jpg

That looks like a setup that I had this summer. I had the Quad, 395, Digitech 2120, BBE sonic, Rocktron Compressor, and a roadcase 412 halfback cab.

That thing must weigh a ton. Thank god I downsized (TA, GSP1101, 20/20, 2 EV Thieles) or else I would be walking hunched over looking for spare change on the ground.

Greg

for a great comparison between Studio and Quad, search for a topic started by fellow 4nkam about a year ago

i had a studio which i modded to c+ specs.sold it. now i have another one. its a nice pre amp. best cleans.

ytse_jam said:
for a great comparison between Studio and Quad, search for a topic started by fellow 4nkam about a year ago

Here it is, enjoy.
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=1983&highlight=quad++studio

Intersting read. Thank you. Looks like I'll be going for the Quad. At somepoint when I have more money kicking around. Right now I need $700 for a Firestudio to complement my soon to be Macbook Pro. Then I'll need the Quad pre. Right now I can do with my SD-9 for leads, GE7 for Crunch, and SM-9 for Rythm. Its just alot of toe tapping and tweaking.

It would be nice to have presets, but I don't use a midi controller so I don't care. Plus, I don't like digital. I'd rather have a real analog preamp. With you know, kobs and buttons and ****! Show me how you can set a Triaxis on "somewhere between 8.5 and 9.1" in the sweet spot.

dmt said:
It would be nice to have presets, but I don't use a midi controller so I don't care. Plus, I don't like digital. I'd rather have a real analog preamp. With you know, kobs and buttons and sh!t! Show me how you can set a Triaxis on "somewhere between 8.5 and 9.1" in the sweet spot.

Exactly! Although... even some of the most well-designed preamps have this issue... But I won't get into that now :D

visualrocker69 said:
reo73 said:
Some people love the Triaxis and some think its not as toneful as the Studio or Quad.

Yeah, some people think it can match 100% the tone and feel of a Mark IV/quad/studio pre, or whatever. I just don't see it...

That may be true. And as an owner of a Quad, a Mark IV, and a TriAxis, I find myself always choosing the TriAxis. This is not to say that it can match 100% the tone and feel of the others, like you mentioned. It is just my personal taste. I just prefer the sound of the TriAxis over the Mark IV. Yet, maybe someday I'll tweak the Mark IV to the point that it trumps the TriAxis, but it hasn't happened yet.

Regarding the Quad, I have dialed in both clean and dirty tones to die for. Unfortunately, both cherry tones used different settings on Channel 1. I couldn't use the best clean and dirty tones live without using two Quads. Thus, I choose the TriAxis over the Quad because it has more flexibility live.

Can I have those settings? Muy interested.

I think my Simul-Satellites clean has to be better anyway. Its got a minimal preamp, and alot less curcuitry and gunk to get in the way. So I don't think that the Quad's Clean will make too big a difference. I can prolly EQ it out or match it anyway. Maybe it will be close idk.

Lopp said:
I just prefer the sound of the TriAxis over the Mark IV. Yet, maybe someday I'll tweak the Mark IV to the point that it trumps the TriAxis, but it hasn't happened yet.

Wouldn't ya know it, I just spent the last couple of hours jamming on the Mark IV without changing my settings. **** it sounds cherry. I don't know if the TriAxis could hit that tone. Then again, there are a lot of sounds on the TriAxis that the Mark IV might not hit...

Back