Quad Pre Comparison: 1D & 1E versions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HSL

Reaction score
I don't have any sound examples because my recording rig is being renovated at the moment, but here's some written info for you:

I've got two Quad preamps. One built in 1988 (1D) and one built in 1989 or 1990 (1E). I've compared them side by side and there are definitely some differences between the two. I'm not sure if the two versions just have different characters, or if it's that 'something' is up with one of them that affects the sound. To further note, I've actually switched out the tubes identically in both preamps to see if it was the set of tubes giving this difference. Tubes were set in place in both amps, and then switched in exact positions, so both preamps got the same tubage going. It didn't affect the character I'm speaking of, so it's definitely the preamps. But here goes!

Quad 1E from 89-90 has a more 'wide open' sound to it. There is more of a midrange and trebly frequency content than the other. It sounds less controlled and more wild. The 80hz EQ slider gives it a round bottom end, kind of like a wide Q on a parametric EQ. When turning the reverb knob up to 10, there's a definite 'SHHHHHHHHH' sound to it that's overpowering. The noise floor/buzzing is higher than the Quad below.

Quad 1D from 1988 definitely has a more 'controlled' sound, and sounds more like it's a guitar cab when listening right in front of it, so less wide open. Unlike above, the midrange and trebly frequencies aren't as apparent, almost like I'm using a very slight shelving EQ curve or some kind of light lowpass filter. It sounds less wild, and more controlled as mentioned, less wide open. The 80hz EQ slider seems to give it a definite sense of BEEF in the lower range, very punchy, almost like using a bit more of a narrow Q on a parametric EQ. To further that, the EQ on this one definitely has a more apparent effect on the sound, or the chunkiness than above. When turning the reverb knob up to 10 on this one, it's basically like turning the reverb knob on the above Quad pre to 4-5 or so. Definitely less apparent and doesn't have that out of control 'SHHHHHHH' sound. The noise floor/buzzing on this one is less than above, but hey, it COULD be the treble/midrange on that one emphasizing it.

These are my findings when comparing the two. I thought it might be some interesting reading material for people who have Quads. An important note here is that I don't think one sounds better than the other, just DIFFERENT. 1D ('88) is more controlled, accurate, and oldschool cabinet-like sounding, and the EQ sliders seem to emphasize frequencies narrowly, but more. 1E (89-90) is more open, wild, trebly, and punchy (only in a particular way though), and the EQ sliders seem to have less of an effect on particular frequencies, opting for spreading them out instead.

HSL said:
I don't have any sound examples because my recording rig is being renovated at the moment, but here's some written info for you:

I've got two Quad preamps. One built in 1988 (1D) and one built in 1989 or 1990 (1E). I've compared them side by side and there are definitely some differences between the two. I'm not sure if the two versions just have different characters, or if it's that 'something' is up with one of them that affects the sound. To further note, I've actually switched out the tubes identically in both preamps to see if it was the set of tubes giving this difference. Tubes were set in place in both amps, and then switched in exact positions, so both preamps got the same tubage going. It didn't affect the character I'm speaking of, so it's definitely the preamps. But here goes!

Quad 1E from 89-90 has a more 'wide open' sound to it. There is more of a midrange and trebly frequency content than the other. It sounds less controlled and more wild. The 80hz EQ slider gives it a round bottom end, kind of like a wide Q on a parametric EQ. When turning the reverb knob up to 10, there's a definite 'SHHHHHHHHH' sound to it that's overpowering. The noise floor/buzzing is higher than the Quad below.

Quad 1D from 1988 definitely has a more 'controlled' sound, and sounds more like it's a guitar cab when listening right in front of it, so less wide open. Unlike above, the midrange and trebly frequencies aren't as apparent, almost like I'm using a very slight shelving EQ curve or some kind of light lowpass filter. It sounds less wild, and more controlled as mentioned, less wide open. The 80hz EQ slider seems to give it a definite sense of BEEF in the lower range, very punchy, almost like using a bit more of a narrow Q on a parametric EQ. To further that, the EQ on this one definitely has a more apparent effect on the sound, or the chunkiness than above. When turning the reverb knob up to 10 on this one, it's basically like turning the reverb knob on the above Quad pre to 4-5 or so. Definitely less apparent and doesn't have that out of control 'SHHHHHHH' sound. The noise floor/buzzing on this one is less than above, but hey, it COULD be the treble/midrange on that one emphasizing it.

These are my findings when comparing the two. I thought it might be some interesting reading material for people who have Quads. An important note here is that I don't think one sounds better than the other, just DIFFERENT. 1D ('88) is more controlled, accurate, and oldschool cabinet-like sounding, and the EQ sliders seem to emphasize frequencies narrowly, but more. 1E (89-90) is more open, wild, trebly, and punchy (only in a particular way though), and the EQ sliders seem to have less of an effect on particular frequencies, opting for spreading them out instead.

So which one do you prefer ?

One isn't better than the other. Just different. I'll have to wait until my recording rig is back up and running to do some tests on. That'll take place over time once I really learn both of them.

Reminds me the A/B test of my studio preamp/triaxis in the similar mode. The studio was the wild open type. I prefer it to be honest.

To be honest, after trying it out for a while after posting this, I think I prefer the 1D version. But that's for live/practice sessions. I'm not going to say I completely prefer one over the other overall just yet because to me it's which one will record better that will win. I'll be able to set up two Quads side by side with the exact settings and do A/B comparisons. Once my recording rig is back and I run those tests, I'll be able to see which one I prefer and which one works better for my mixes.

another question;
if a quad has no midi options on the back, but for only the 1/4" switching and fu-2 pedal,plus the longer reverb tank, is this one of the early first 1d versions? thanks muchly. :D

I took a look at the reverb tanks and they're identical. It's basically the same build, but with a few differences on the inside. They seemed to used a couple different parts in some places, I have no idea what they are though.

I have just landed a version d quad..Sounds fantastic...I did notice that the pull deep on both chls work differently depending on if youre using output a or b..
Pull deep is almost nonexistent on ch 1 when using output b, and visa/versa for the other...they work , you just have to plan out how youre using them......

My quad stilll do the same that Littleb quad´s and was made in 88 too. Is normal that the deep do that? It doesn´t seems very useful...

I wrote days ago when deep works:

Main out & recording A: Deep works only in channel 1
Main out & recording B: Deep works only in channel 2
Effects send: Deep doesn´t works in any channels

I dont mind the quad being that way, you just have to plan out how you will use the top ch,and bottom ch,and which a or b outs will go to whatever....But i will say that is weird/strange that the deep works like that....I do love the way my version d sounds though...well at least now I know mine's not the only one that does that?.....

Yep, if deep works like that, it would be ok, but I´m worry, I don´t know something strange is happening or maybe a typical failure from the early quads :?
Maybe HSL quad works like ours. If his quad do the same thing, probably everything is ok (it would be sooooo strange that 3 quads are failing in the same thing! :lol: )

maybe someone on this site will know what this all about...who knows?...i have an amp at mesa right now for servicing, ill try to run it by Mike B himself if i can....

OK... So, I had Wolfy's QUad in bits all last week so thought I'd have a look at the Pull-Deep circuit and see what's going on. I drew a pic:

http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad109/tonemonkey1/QuadOP.gif

Looks like you're right! The Channel-1 pull-deep is on the A-output and the Channel-2 pull-deep is on the B-output. Both circuits are identical.

This was from a 1989 version 1E Quad.

Well, it seem like everything is normal... It makes the same thing with the effects send?

And maybe it sounds a bit noob... but the middle control isn´t very drastic, right? I mean, the difference setting it between 3 to 6, for example, is not very noticeable...

Yes, that is correct..I just had a phone conversation w/ Mike B. @ Mesa.He said that early quads are wired like that--its totally normal.....he said they wired them way back in the day so outputs a and b would offer something a little different in both outputs.... :D

Up again!

I copy what I´ve said time ago about the mids control:

"but the middle control isn´t very drastic, right? I mean, the difference setting it between 3 to 6, for example, is not very noticeable..."

It´s normal? Or my quad doesn´t work right?

Actually, I would say that almost ALL of the controls on the Quad preamp aren't very sensitive and don't affect the sound as they're labeled :p

When I got my Quad I was really surprised at how it worked. Completely different from any other amp I've ever tried. The bass control makes it a bit flubby, the treble control seems to bring out the highs just a little bit along with slightly more gain, and the mid control isn't very sensitive at all on mine either. I get more of a difference in sound/tone by using the graphic EQs than any of the controls really.

Hahahaha I think the same sometimes, but i think the mids control is the best doing something that you initially don´t expect XD

And... In old mark´s series is the same? I play trough a mark III long time ago, I remember that bass control freak me out, and is pretty the same on the Quad, and finish to use the bass from graphic eq.

Back