Pulled the trigger on used short head; need speaker opinions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dodger916

Reaction score
Ithaca, NY...10 sq miles surrounded by reality!
I've been a fan of the ED since demoing it a while back, and I'll soon be in posession of a used short head. I've kept up with the threads in this sub-forum, and I tried searching for speaker info, but I came up with nothing. I'm considering running it through either a C90 or MS-12 (both loaded in 1x12 1/2 back cabs) coupled with an EVM loaded Thiele. I suspect I'll really like the MS-12, but I'm keepng an open mind.

I'm curious what speakers and cabs you guys are using. What's your experience with V30s?

Thanks in advance.

Frank

Heya Frank. I'm sure you'll find the ED pretty versatile for such a simple amp.
I play at medium volumes ( pictures on the mantle falling over :mrgreen:), so I
run my short head, EL34 loaded ED thru a 4x12 Marshall with greenbacks. I get a
great tone...IMO...and usually have the volume(gain) between 12 and 3 o'clock.
With a p90 guitar, I love the string definition along with the crunch factor...very *organic*...to my ears.

Sometimes I push the amp thru my THD Hotplate which sounds pretty sweet.

I usually run my ED 2x12 combo clean, which is thru a pair of V30s. I really like
the warmth and *bell like* clarity and get a HUGE sound with my Firebirds mini-hums(Lollar)
in the middle position.

I find myself playing all 3 modes in the 90w setting a lot more lately. The amp really *gives it up * and works best for me in that I don't use most of my gain/OD pedals anymore.

Thanks, Birdy. I'm really jazzed about this amp, and have been gassing for a year! I prefer my Marks at full power, and generally prefer triode to pentode on the Mark IV (like a C+).

I recently played a Fender Supersonic through a V30 and was really impressed with that speaker. I was thinking about adding a V30 to my collection anyway, and it's good to hear you like the ED through 2 V30s. Given what I remember about the voice of the ED, I'm wondering if a V30 coupled with an EVM loaded Thiele would be the ticket. The ED/Thiele combination should generate some serious thump and the V30 would add that midrange warmth with the "*bell like* clarity" you mention. I could also see a C90 doing this but without the midrange bump. I'm really excited about getting this amp!

Thanks again.

Wtf? Since when does mesa make short head dynes? They only mention medium on mesahollywood and mesa's site.

EtherealWidow said:
Wtf? Since when does mesa make short head dynes? They only mention medium on mesahollywood and mesa's site.

I am pretty sure the short head is really a medium. I asked my shop earlier this week and that is what they told me.

J.J said:
EtherealWidow said:

I am pretty sure the short head is really a medium. I asked my shop earlier this week and that is what they told me.
That's what I meant, the shorter head. Should have said medium.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program...

You might find this helpful. It's repetitive to say the least, but certainly is a starting point.

Good Luck, Mike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWK0sa7tlfI

Senior Moment, Sorry..........

mefgames said:
You might find this helpful. It's repetitive to say the least, but certainly is a starting point.

Good Luck, Mike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWK0sa7tlfI

Senior Moment, Sorry..........

COOOL!

Definitely would pick celestion G12H 30 / Greenback as my top options. I also like the EV 12L and a the first Tone Tubby offerings.

Two week update: I'm really starting to dig this amp. At our last band practice I ran it through a recently-acquired used Port City 1x12 std size ported cab loaded with a Mojotone 25. I decided to break-out the trusted 71 SG...holy crunch-monster Batman! This rig literally put smiles on my face all night with the many sweet spots I found. I played mostly in vintage low straying into high and clean as needed. I started in 45 watts, but switched (and stayed) in 90 watt. (I've never been a fan of the lower voltage/wattage options, even on my Marks.) Just a touch of delay for rhythm and either vintage high or OD/Compression pedals for solos. I use my guitar controls quite a bit which works well with this amp's "old school" sensitivity. I think this amp like humbuckers more that single coils, but the jury's still out on that. I'm in the process of acquiring another pair of EL34s as many here rave about 34s in this amp.

I was a bit disappointed at first, but as a Mark series guy I know Mesas require tweaking. It's a different feel than a Mark, which took a bit getting used to, but that's exactly why I bought it. The low end presence (small "p") is warm and comfortable, like a good wood fire, especially with the Port City cab. The feel reminds me a little of a C+ but not as bright or gainy, and with a bassier bottom. To me, a good piece of equipment (guitar, amp, speaker, etc.) will create tone that inspires my playing into new areas. This amp is definitely there for me. I'll never abandon ALL of my trusted Marks, but this is one is fast heading into keeper territory. It might be time to say bye-bye to the 60 watt IIC :cry:

Thanks again for your input.

Frank

Birdy said:
I run my short head, EL34 loaded ED thru a 4x12 Marshall with greenbacks. I get a
great tone...IMO...and usually have the volume(gain) between 12 and 3 o'clock. With a p90 guitar, I love the string definition along with the crunch factor...very *organic*...to my ears.

I usually run my ED 2x12 combo clean, which is thru a pair of V30s. I really like
the warmth and *bell like* clarity and get a HUGE sound with my Firebirds mini-hums(Lollar)
in the middle position.

I find myself playing all 3 modes in the 90w setting a lot more lately. The amp really *gives it up * and works best for me in that I don't use most of my gain/OD pedals anymore.

Hey Birdy. Yes, it's that overdriven sound with string definition that I seek (a-la Keef), and where a C+ excels too. One thing I really appreciate about the E-D is how the inherent voice of the guitar can be heard, something I also dig about Mark IIs.

It's Funny you mention mini-buckers, as I JUST bought an 81 Les Paul Deluxe with mini's (still waiting for delivery from Gtr Ctr). Being a Strat fan I tried some P-90 guitars, but the mini-buckers sounded better to me. I can definitely see where V30s or Greenbacks would sound major kick-*** in this guy, especially with EL34s.

Geez...Am I morphing into a Gibson/Marshall guy? :shock:

dodger916 said:
Birdy said:
I run my short head, EL34 loaded ED thru a 4x12 Marshall with greenbacks. I get a
great tone...IMO...and usually have the volume(gain) between 12 and 3 o'clock. With a p90 guitar, I love the string definition along with the crunch factor...very *organic*...to my ears.

in the middle position.

Hey Birdy. Yes, it's that overdriven sound with string definition that I seek (a-la Keef), and where a C+ excels too. One thing I really appreciate about the E-D is how the inherent voice of the guitar can be heard, something I also dig about Mark IIs.

It's Funny you mention mini-buckers, as I JUST bought an 81 Les Paul Deluxe with mini's (still waiting for delivery from Gtr Ctr). Being a Strat fan I tried some P-90 guitars, but the mini-buckers sounded better to me. I can definitely see where V30s or Greenbacks would sound major kick-*** in this guy, especially with EL34s.

Geez...Am I morphing into a Gibson/Marshall guy? :shock:

Heh heh....I'm so addicted to the blue light :mrgreen:
Wait'll you load up some EL34s !
If you get the chance to try some Lollar mini-hums, you'll crap your drawers . Almost a p90
warm vintage tone, the best I've tried so far.

dodger916 said:
Also, what rating/current draw SED's would you recommend? (also posted in Tubes sub-forum)

Mid 30's if you buy from the tubestore. You might ask them what testing parameters that they use, so you can shop around for price. Most of these tube vendors use a Maxi-Matcher to pair their tubes. It has a selectable plate and bias voltage to use with different tube types. If the vendors use the same plate and bias voltages to calculate their "rating", then go with the best price.

JOEY B. said:
dodger916 said:
Also, what rating/current draw SED's would you recommend? (also posted in Tubes sub-forum)

Mid 30's if you buy from the tubestore. You might ask them what testing parameters that they use, so you can shop around for price. Most of these tube vendors use a Maxi-Matcher to pair their tubes. It has a selectable plate and bias voltage to use with different tube types. If the vendors use the same plate and bias voltages to calculate their "rating", then go with the best price.
Thanks x 2, Joey.

Latest posts

Back