PRS USERS!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chriz_batman

Reaction score
I wanted to know what do you guys think about getting a prs private stock 10th anniversary, because i have the money for one but i wanted to know should i get it? But i already have 2 modern eagles and 1 custom 24. So do you guys think, should i get it?

I think you should go for it. It's definitely a good investment and can easily pay you back in full plus some if you ever sell it.

As for buying it, you should call Guitar Center in Overland Park, KS, because I can sell it to you and make it happen.

steeldragonjovi said:
As for buying it, you should call Guitar Center in Overland Park, KS, because I can sell it to you and make it happen.

Not biased at all are we? lol

It's a great guitar :) It's always a matter of need vs want. You have the money and you want it? Go for it! You could use the $ for something else? (amp/cabs/fx/recording gear/etc...) then think about it :)

Marc

Considering you have all those PRS models in your arsenal already I would go for somthing different . Ive acquired 3 Gibson Custom shop pieces lately and i love them . A Joe perry Boneyard LP, a 57 custom VOS Lp, and 1963 block reissue ES335 . They are all very nice and sound amazing . I have a PRS CU 22 AP and love it as well . I also have a Tom Anderson Cobra. Have you checked out Anderson guitars ? You should . How about a Fender Strat or a Tele ? Cant go wrong there either . Above all, take your time and do the research .

Have you thought about a PRS DGT (David Grissom signature model) also? I have heard nothing but fabulous things about them. I have a Custom 24 and love it but I think the DGT is going to be my next big purchase.

I'd say grab it...You simply can't go wrong with a PRS...It will only go up in value as well, so you're not out anything...I own a Custom 22 and love it!

Barry said:
Considering you have all those PRS models in your arsenal already I would go for somthing different . Ive acquired 3 Gibson Custom shop pieces lately and i love them . A Joe perry Boneyard LP, a 57 custom VOS Lp, and 1963 block reissue ES335 . They are all very nice and sound amazing . I have a PRS CU 22 AP and love it as well . I also have a Tom Anderson Cobra. Have you checked out Anderson guitars ? You should . How about a Fender Strat or a Tele ? Cant go wrong there either . Above all, take your time and do the research .

I'd have to agree with barry. With so many PRS guitars already, you might consider branching out to another brand. There are plenty of companies that make custom guitars completely to your liking.

You might try Carvin. I've never actually played one, but I have heard good things about them around some forums.

I currently have 3 PRS's and 1 EBMM Axis, I love my PRS guitars.

If I were in your shoes and had 2 ME and 1 CU24 and my choice would be purely based on tone, not eye candy...

I would sell one of the Me's, get a CE, get an EBMM axis.

Then I would work on the amp arsenal.

You are then ready for all the possibilities...

Personally, with how good the standard PRS models are, I've never seen the need to purchase the higher more expensive ones, especially private stock. For someone with really unique wants from the model, I understand, but for someone VERY happy with their production line models, I don't see the need for the upcharge.

I own 2 Singlecuts, and am about to add a third....LOVE the guitars to death!

Branching out to a different brand might not be a bad idea. But, if you're like me, and you REALLY like PRS, nothing else will do it for you ;)

For me a PRS is like an art piece. So I say if you have the cash and love the art go for it!

I've got a McCarty & a Custom 22. The Wide Fat Neck is the grits for me! I just played my US 50th Strat for the 1st time in many months, but ended up with the McCarty in hand when I was finished.

The scale and neck just fit me perfectly, so I don't really want to look at other brands.

If I could get a PRS, Wide Fat Neck, 22 frets, with 3 single coils, then that would be next guitar. Otherwise, I'm saving for a CE-22.

I don't know if I would get any of the higher end models, my kids are still really young and destructive. I buy all of my guitars "Pre-dinged!"

i'd get it as a good investment... there aren't many guitars out there that retain their value and those private stocks hold their value, if not appreciate. if it were me i'd sell off one of those MEs so i wouldnt have take take 10 minutes before playing to decide which one to play... but i guess there are worse decisions to make :wink:

If you want a private stock and it does not take food off the table, go get it!

However, I disagree that a Private Stock PRS is a "good investment".

jdurso said:
i'd get it as a good investment... there aren't many guitars out there that retain their value and those private stocks hold their value, if not appreciate. if it were me i'd sell off one of those MEs so i wouldnt have take take 10 minutes before playing to decide which one to play... but i guess there are worse decisions to make :wink:

I don't know, even though they are expernsive, MEs are more of a player's guitar, whereas the Private Stocks are generally bought and held by collectors.

I think there a lot better things to spend money on than a Private Stock PRS, personally. Also, for it to be an investment, you'd have to be able to find someone who wants to buy it, which could take a really long time-- especially now if you're in the US.

wastoid said:
jdurso said:

I don't know, even though they are expernsive, MEs are more of a player's guitar, whereas the Private Stocks are generally bought and held by collectors.

I think there a lot better things to spend money on than a Private Stock PRS, personally. Also, for it to be an investment, you'd have to be able to find someone who wants to buy it, which could take a really long time-- especially now if you're in the US.

There is always a market for the right Private Stock. I know Guitars centers pay top dollar for PS's. If your willing to hold onto it for a while its a great investment... if your looking for a quick "flip" maybe not so much. Also consider most of the current PS's are done up nicely with Brazilian Rosewood... i guarentee in 5-10 years when their stockpile of Braz is dried up, the price will sky rocket. My guitar actually appreciated by almost $2000 because you cannot find a guitar with a solid brazilian neck anymore. so as long as there is a market for PS's and Rare PRSi, the guitar will hold its value.

And as far as people not having the $$$ in our economy, thats a huge stretch because consider the price of a PS right off the bat and the people buying them. If you have the money to spend on a 8-15k guitar, then the state of the economy isnt really affecting you all that much. Now if your on the other side of the fence and need to take out a loan to afford a PS you shouldnt be buying it in the first place.

My point is there will always be a market for that type of guitar. Hell go to GC and look at all the vintage Gibsons and Fenders. You really think some are worth their 10k+, 20k+, etc pricetags? To some yes.. but again their is a market for those items, so they sell.... and according to my friend thats the manager at the one in East Brunswick, they sell quite a few every month consistantly.

count_chocolat said:
If you want a private stock and it does not take food off the table, go get it!

However, I disagree that a Private Stock PRS is a "good investment".

how do you figure? The right guitar can appreciate over time just like anything else. Look at all the Gibsons and Fenders that are now considered "special" and draw a 10k+ price tag... now think about if you bought it back in the day. You would have made a nice chunk of dime. I think the PRS PS fits into that same equation. They may not appreciate by the amount some gibsons and fenders did but they will at least retain their value.

maybe your idea of a "good investment" is the stock market or real estate which i would agree with the latter... but if your considering a PS your already pretty well off. So maybe i should have worded it... "if your going to buy a guitar, a PS would be a good investment because in terms of other guitars it will retain its value better and might even appreciate". How many of us have bought a guitar and tried to sell it not long after and have to take a depreciation hit of 30-50% or more? Hell i know i have

But i think your right maybe i should sell one ME and get the 10th anniversary especially since they are very rare and yet one of the most beautiful guitars in the world IMO.

but i need you guys opinion also because i am a college student and i could use the money instead of the ps, on a car? what do you think? thanks

Unless you have a huge trust fund buying a guitar like that while in college is stupid.

If you werent still in school I'd say use the money on real estate not guitars.

A PS guitar is a house down payment in many cases....let your money work for you. A rental property is a way to make a fairly passive income. Once you have that flowing get toys.

Latest posts

Back