PRS Custom 24 - Some Think for Metal Only?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJ Slaughter

Reaction score
I don't know why but when I tell some folks that my main guitar is a PRS Custom 24 and I play through Mesa's they think I'm a metal head which couldn't be further from the truth. Is this guitar used primarily for metal???

I use it in my variety bands playing disco, country, classic rock, 80's metal, funk, classic R&B and top 40. Last week I used it at a church doing some God Rock. Am I alone here in believing this to be a very versatile guitar? Why do so many I've spoken with assume this is a guitar designed for heavy metal?

OPETH GROARRRRRRRRR :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
I don't know if they use mesas though.. I think they use randalls

Actually they use Laney heads with Boss GT-6s bypassing the preamp. At least that's what they use live.

Hey Rob,

Its an incredibly versatile guitar. The artists who actually use them include Al DiMeola, Carlos Santana, Dave Navarro, etc. I have one and I play all kinds of different styles. Its a fantastic clean guitar, and great with just a little OD.

I thought most metal players were into ESP's and Carvins and the like.

I have 12 very nice high end guitars, but I come back to the Cu24 the most often.

Joe

Hey Rob,

Its an incredibly versatile guitar. The artists who actually use them include Al DiMeola, Carlos Santana, Dave Navarro, etc. I have one and I play all kinds of different styles. Its a fantastic clean guitar, and great with just a little OD.

I thought most metal players were into ESP's and Carvins and the like.

I have 12 very nice high end guitars, but I come back to the Cu24 the most often.

Joe

i never knew anyone who said this guitar was primarily for metal. in fact ive also heard more about its versatility than anything so i guess it probably could do metal. but oh to own a custom 24 ... thats my dream guitar of the moment with my dual rec. they play sooooo well. :)

The same thing happens to me when I play my 7 string Ibanez and Mesa, people automatically assume it's metal time, even when I'm playing jazz, or light rock. I don't think the PRS is metal at all, but any decent guitar can play any style.

ToneAddictJon said:
The same thing happens to me when I play my 7 string Ibanez and Mesa, people automatically assume it's metal time, even when I'm playing jazz, or light rock. I don't think the PRS is metal at all, but any decent guitar can play any style.

I wasn't saying that your Custom 24 was a straight ahead metal guitar. Sure it can do it but as Tone Addict John said any guitar can be set up to do that. I hardly ever associate PRS with metal. Hard rock yes but not necessarily metal. Keep in mind that Opeth has enormously huge changes in tone within each song so their guitars have to be versatile. I wasn't dissin' on your PRS. I like PRS guitars I just wouldn't buy one.

it depends about the pups... its not the same Dragon II than Tremontis or Santanas... its true that its a versatile guitar but pup are so important too

I have a CU22 and it is my most well rounded guitar I love the pickups Dragon II's they will clean up very nice with a volume roll off. I have the rotary switch which I don't mind but the toggle would be easier I think.

The PRS 24's are all about versatility. The stock pups give you a nice, vintagy neck pup sound for blues and jazz, while, while the HFS is very hot and articulate for rock and leads. And the 5 way gives you a range of humbucker and single coily sounds. The versatility is what led me to buy a PRS in the first place.

My current #1's..... PRS CE-24 and Boogie Mark IV.

PRSBoogie.jpg

sbalderrama said:
The PRS 24's are all about versatility. The stock pups give you a nice, vintagy neck pup sound for blues and jazz, while, while the HFS is very hot and articulate for rock and leads. And the 5 way gives you a range of humbucker and single coily sounds. The versatility is what led me to buy a PRS in the first place.

My current #1's..... PRS CE-24 and Boogie Mark IV.

PRSBoogie.jpg

Great looking rig sbalderrama. What is the difference between the PRS Custom 24 and CE-24?

MJ Slaughter said:
Great looking rig sbalderrama. What is the difference between the PRS Custom 24 and CE-24?

That was indeed a nice looking CE. The figuring is deep!

One major difference between the Customs and the CE models is the neck construction. The CE has a bolt-on neck, and the Customs have set necks.

Loves me some PRS mixed in with some Mesa/Boogie!

MJ Slaughter said:

Basically the custom is set neck while the CE's are bolt in. Its pretty much the same construction, just glue verses bolts. CEs also have maple necks where customs are mahog. Customs usually have fancier appointments like the bird inlays, better tops, etc. My CE is actually an earlier one, a 91. Before around '95, the CEs had Alder body wood instead of the Mahog that they do now. That makes it a bit snappier and more articulate sounding to me. The early CE's are rock and roll monsters. The newer ones are good too, I had a 2000 CE-24 and comparing them side by side the differences were subtle but noticable.

Back