Programming Rectifier with MIDI

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loki

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I've just upgraded my rig to feature a Voodoo Lab Ground Control and GCX audio switcher. I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to MIDI, though I do have some understanding of it.. :oops:

Here is an example of how I'm setting up my rig:

http://www.voodoolab.com/gcxdiagrams/05-Pedals_FXLoop_3Channel_Amp%20Switching.pdf

Focusing on the last 4 loops, the difference is that I want my 3 Channel Recto channel 1, 2 and 3 controlled in loop 6, 7 and 8.

I've assigned the channels to be controlled thru the Ground Control Pro, however when I select channel 2 or 3, the amp shows that channel 2 and 1, or channel 3 and channel 1, are selected, and I only get a clean sound (channel 1). On the Audio Switcher it shows that only one of the loops are being selected).

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Do I need to "de-select" channel 1?

I also got a tip from Voodoo Lab re: 3 channel rectifiers:

'Ground Control Pro presets will activate combinations of loops at once. In this case, you would program your presets so only one of the channel loops is ever on at a given time. By the way, with the three channel rectifiers you can access all three channels using only two loops if you use one loop for channel 1 and another loop for channel 3. When either loop is active you will get channel 1 or 3, when both loops are bypassed you will get channel 2.'

I have the information, but I don't know what to do with it! :roll:

Any advice would be hugely appreciated :lol:

loki.

loki, be EXTREMELY careful when doing this. My DR went down with a burnt circiut board in December of last year. I just got it back about a month ago! It was caused by the GC Pro and the GCX. I had mine set up very similar to what you are describing, GCX 5-8, Chan's 1-3 and FX loop respectively. You CANNOT change the amp channels/loop or solo using chan's 5-8 on the GC Pro (in my case setup)! This switching logic must be programmed into the four bottom presets of the GC Pro. On mine I could turn on all three channels and the FX Loop at the same time...hence burnt circuit board. Now I am reluctant to even begin to attempt this again. My decision will be to purchase an Access Electronics CFX 4 as soon as I get the cash. Just use the MIDI to control all amp functions while freeing up the GCX loops for more pedals options, etc. This was my experience. Some have had successful results using just the GCX and GC Pro and after 550.00 I wish I was one of em'! Good Luck and talk to some of the other folks on this forum cause there's lots of great info.

'Ground Control Pro presets will activate combinations of loops at once. In this case, you would program your presets so only one of the channel loops is ever on at a given time. By the way, with the three channel rectifiers you can access all three channels using only two loops if you use one loop for channel 1 and another loop for channel 3. When either loop is active you will get channel 1 or 3, when both loops are bypassed you will get channel 2.'
loki if it helps any let me elaborate on this:
"Ground Control Presets"-bottom four of GC Pro
"will activate combinations of loops at once"- this means whatever channel of the DR you program and whatever other effects you may have in any other loops, never another DR channel loop
Just remember, my main point being, don't ever activate more than one DR channel loop using the GC Pro channels. Always select your one channel of the DR while in GC Pro program mode. You can have a DR channel selected with the DR Loop on simultaneously. I hope this helps to clarify things a little.

That actually really helped a lot!

I wasnt able to get it to work properly in 10 preset/bank mode, but in 4 preset/bank mode it works just fine.

With this setup, am I still able to, for example, assign banks to individual songs, so that I can easily access the settings using the 8 pre-programmed instant access buttons, and use the bottom 4 as my "channel" selectors?

Or will the 8 switches be basically on/off switches for the effects in my loop?

loki, I'm glad I could help you and I am Thankful that I caught you b4 anything bad happened. I sure as hell don't wanna see anyone have to go thru what I went thru. As far as the 4 preset bank mode. I've never tried it so I do not want to give you any wrong info. I just use the stock configuration. It's been a while for me fiddlin with my setup as I've yet to put it all back together (waiting to save up the dough to get my DR Voodoo modded). What I do remember is basically what I mentioned earlier. After I realized -and my Mesa was burnt- I never touched 5-8 on my GC Pro. I would only select those (actually 5-7= amp channels) while I was in GC Pro program mode. As a futher note channel two is default on the DR that is what it means to not have either 1-3 selected with no cable in chan 2 and the amp go to chan 2. Not too confusing :shock: One good thing about this is it saves a loop on the GCX. Eg: GCX loop 6 in channel 1, GCX loop 7 in channel 3, GCX loop 8 in FX Loop. While in program mode if neither loop 6 or 7 are engaged you should be in default chan 2 on the DR.
I'm glad that I helped you and as stated earlier some of the forum members here have great experience with this setup and can pick up where I left off to get you safely where you need to go.

Latest posts

Back