Problem with Mark IV!!! Some help would be appreciated!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlayermanGR

Reaction score
Hi to everyone in the great Boogie community!

I'll try to be short, here's my problem:
Today I tried to make my Mark IV work with Impulse Responses, so as I've seen in a hundred places over the web I need to get the preamp of my amp!
So that would be the FX Send of the amp going to the input of my audio interface! (I hope I am right until this point)

Ok after having done the above I flip the standby switch and all I hear is loud pops coming from the amp!
I quickly turn it off, put all my cables back as normal and these loud pops are still here (I can hear my guitar but there are too many pops)! :cry: :cry:
I am so afraid that I may have damaged my amp, although I considered all the cautions about not disconnecting the speaker load from the amp etc. etc...

Does anyone have any experience with my matter? Could it possibly be just a tube? (the power tubes are glowing fine, didn't see about the preamp tubes though)

P.S. :evil: **** THOSE IMPULSE RESPONSES :evil:

Did you have something pluged into the speaker (a load) when you pluged it into your Audio interface? were the pops coming from the Amp itself or the speaker.

It really could be a number of problems.

Preamp tube.
Dirty FX loop socket
CAP

We need more info

Tom

Yes, I have the combo version so I didn't mess with the speaker cable at all, and as I hear the pops are coming from the speaker!
Also I can recall my FX loop was working great before that (to eliminate the dirty FX loop socket scenario)!

I have a backup 12AX7 I can try in case it's a preamp tube, but is there any hint on how to spot a dead preamp tube? :shock:

Thanks a lot for trying to help! :wink:
If there's more info I can give you please tell me what you need!

V 1 would be first. Thats the one with the silver can over it to reduce nosie. I strongely suggest to plug a patch cable into the FX loop so the loop is being used . this just double checks this. if its speaker that the nosie is coming from i would it is most likely a V1 but.

It's just easy to test the easier things ( patch in FX loop) than to get the tubes up.

If you put it into V1 and there is no difference, Work youor way across.V2,3,4,5

Tom

If the "pops" are happening with no guitar connected,troubleshoot by pulling V1,if the noise stops that is the stage the problem is in.If the noise doesnt stop,put it back (V1) and pull V2 and so on until you pull a tube that stops the noise.This will isolate where the trouble is.

Once you get this worked out, rather then using your effects send, start with the silent recording out. I have had some decent success with that (not using impulses).

Latest posts

Back