Prive on Mark IV?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sealunar said:
I'd rather just buy new. If I'm going to spend that kind of money, I want it new. Not that used isn't good (just bought a 4 year old EBMM John Petrucci and its excellent). For technology and equipment like this, I want brand new.
I think that's just wasting your money, but I can understand you want it new

Sealunar said:
Wouldn't you rather spend an extra $200 for a brand new amp and a good warranty?...

In my book I probably wouldn't shell out $1600 for a Mark IV, rather I would wait until one came around in good condition, for a good price. I got mine in absolute mint condition for a buy it now of $1100 and $55 shipping, but I had to wait for about two or three weeks to find the right one. I don't know about you, but if I can save some cash, I will. It is money that I spent my time earning, so why should I blow it all on a brand new amp, or a used amp selling for an inflated price when I can wait a while, price shop, and save a good $700 off retail?

I understand the fact that I could save around $700, which is awesome, but I live in a crowded household and the warranty is really what I need.

Yeah 1600 is way too much for a used Mark IV in my book, there are much better deals out there.. however if you want it *now,* it's worth getting it instead of waiting 6 months for one.

Ouch 6 months? I think I might buy one thats 1 year old or so old. What would you guys suggest would be my limit for a mint Mark IV thats medium sized. (So what price should I stop at)

Well, first off (correct me if I'm wrong) Mesa does have a five year tranferable warranty right? If you bought one that is new enough you would still have that warranty to go off of. As far as any damage these will incur, I doubt you will do too much to it, unless you are practicing for the UFC or something with it or if you are transporting it a lot without a case.

For cost you should just pay according to the specific amp. For instance if it is in absolutely mint condition, is relatively new, and comes with extras, be willing to pay a little more for it. I would shell out a maximum of probably $1400 for a Mark IV in superb condition with extras, but that is just me. I am sure to different people different things hold different values. It is all a matter of "is it worth it to me?"

I got my medium head for about 1375 all said and done but it's only two years old and had warranty left and has a custom grill upgrade from Mesa. That and I'd been searching forever.

Deals will come up, you just gotta be patient :)

I was looking for mine all over e-bay and CL and then one kind of fell in my lap. It was local and $1100. It came with a rackmount to boot. Granted it was an older A version with no warranty but tube amps really don't need a warranty after a while. Initially, a warranty is good to cover things that go wrong while the amp is settling. I have had amps that were 30 years old with no issues. In fact, I have a Marshall that is 30 years old and doesn't need a warranty. My Mark IV had some repairs done to it before I got it but I wouldn't think of it any differently than any other quality tube amp.

I think that the warranty only covers actual part failures anyway. If you are concerned about the close quarters of your residence I would consider a small practice amp. I don't think Mesa is going to cover anything if someone pours a drink into it or the dog chews it up. If you think they will cover damages from it being knocked over and falling ask yourself, "Would a crystal company cover my champagne flutes that broke because they got knocked over at a party?" Sure you may have a warranty for parts and labor should you have a failure but damage from close quarters shenanigans? C'mon...

Russ said:
I got one for $1100 used last year but I got some extras too. Notice the rackmount that sold for $910? Like I said the deals are out there you just have to find them.

That head had seen some abuse it looked like. The chassis had been stripped and spray painted some kind of crackle black and it just seemed kind of beat up. Mine was the $1225 one and it came with a footswitch extension cable so that's cool. Going to be here Friday. I only posted this to say that the going rate for clean rackmounts is a bit higher. That one brought the average down.

I know that the $900 one was below average but I was making a point about looking and keeping your eyes open. These things happen.

I figured that. I was almost mad when I saw that one go for $910 a few days after I bought mine then I read the description and breathed a sigh of relief.

if you have the patience, CL is the way to go... no shipping costs, try it out in person

I heard back from my local dealer (GC... ugh!) and they said 60 - 90 day wait on a short heaad.

Latest posts

Back