Preamp tubes for Tremoverb?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Just a quick question, how do bad preamp tubes affect the sound of an amp? I was having problems with my Tremoverb being too dark. I thought that this was just the way Rectifiers were? So I switched some preamp tubes around, and what do you know, a brighter, cleaner sound! Can preamp tubes really make a difference in tone, or is it in my head? I thought that most of the tone came from the power tubes?

Anyway, if I'm not just imagining this, what preamp tubes would you recommend? I think I want to move away from the Mesa tubes.

Yes pre amp tubes as well as power tubes can make a big different in tone, as well as pickups and guitar wood etc..

When I had that tremoverb it was brighter then my other rectifiers.

Kiss My Axe said:
Just a quick question, how do bad preamp tubes affect the sound of an amp? I was having problems with my Tremoverb being too dark. I thought that this was just the way Rectifiers were? So I switched some preamp tubes around, and what do you know, a brighter, cleaner sound! Can preamp tubes really make a difference in tone, or is it in my head? I thought that most of the tone came from the power tubes?

Anyway, if I'm not just imagining this, what preamp tubes would you recommend? I think I want to move away from the Mesa tubes.

I retubed mine with groove tube russians and it was like breathing new life into it. I've also used JJ gold pin tubes in the past with good results. The JJs are a little darker though. Good to see someone else from NC on here.

Latest posts

Back