preamp tube, SED vs Mullard vs Tung sol

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greg_moreira

Reaction score
This is not a comparison, but rather a question of what you guys would prefer for a new production(for sake of simplicity) 12ax7 preamp tube. The tung sol re-issue, the mullard, or the SED =C=(ive heard these SED's are, or were outta production, but Ive located some).

They will go into a triple recto 3 channel, and although i play my fair share of metal....I usually dial in a pretty raunchy hard rock type sound. Think AC/DC on steroids. Mostly I need something that isnt overly "hi-fi" sounding, and it would be great if I could lose some of the harsh high end, and find some thicker mids in the process. Im still using the stock preamp tubes. Any other suggestions are welcome also

never heard or seen a SED ax7. Ive tried the mullards and I wasnt blown away. They dont suck but I feel there is better. I really like the Tung Sol in V1. Im sure it would do well in V2 and V3 as well
greg_moreira said:
This is not a comparison, but rather a question of what you guys would prefer for a new production(for sake of simplicity) 12ax7 preamp tube. The tung sol re-issue, the mullard, or the SED =C=(ive heard these SED's are, or were outta production, but Ive located some).

They will go into a triple recto 3 channel, and although i play my fair share of metal....I usually dial in a pretty raunchy hard rock type sound. Think AC/DC on steroids. Mostly I need something that isnt overly "hi-fi" sounding, and it would be great if I could lose some of the harsh high end, and find some thicker mids in the process. Im still using the stock preamp tubes. Any other suggestions are welcome also

Thanks for the quick reply. Im not sure if you were every able to compare, but if so.....what type of change did you recognice with the tung sol compared to whatever mesa uses stock? any notable difference in gain or headroom or Eq or anything that really stood out? thanks again

The Mullard is a really warm tube. I use one in V1 of my Recto.

Tung-Sol sounded like a Shuguang to me. Lessens the attack. Loads of gain and top end though.

hmm... luckily they are cheap, because I guess im just gonna have to try a couple out. everybody seems to have different ears on this subject, and assuming my ears hear what yours do.....I think Id prefer a warmer tube as opposed to something with tons of gain and lots of top end. maybe just give all three a try and see whats what. Ive actually been wanting something with a little more top end and gain for my fender amp for when im playing any blues rock stuff, so it might work out that I end up finding a home for all of these tubes between a couple different amps.

Well the whole tone stack is built on V1, so thats why I run the warm and round sounding Mullard and then 2 Electro-Harmonix in V2 and V3, which are higher gain tubes. Good balance.

I have the same philosophy. I run the TS in V1 and high gain JJ's in 2&3.
fluff191 said:
Well the whole tone stack is built on V1, so thats why I run the warm and round sounding Mullard and then 2 Electro-Harmonix in V2 and V3, which are higher gain tubes. Good balance.
To me the tone was more colorful with a TS. The mullards sounded good but a little bit narrower and boxier - just a little.

haha, thats kinda what Im going for actually. I like the marshall "tone"(minus some of the searing highs you sometimes hear with a marshall), but the rectifier type of gain I like better. Good mid, and especially Upper mid is the tone Im looking for right now(hence the marshall quality), but without some of those high highs and low lows.

it seems like its much easier to coax a marshall frequency curve out of a rectifier than it is to coax that mesa type of gain out of a marshall. And its not even the amount of gain....it just something about the way the gain is delivered that i dig from the rectifier. Just with the OD and the 10 band in the loop Ive gotten very close to that tone I hear in my head, but it doesnt hurt to get closer. Thanks guys. I still think Im gonna try em all. Were only talkin a few tubes here and Ive got a few amps to spread em betwee, and/or try multiples in one.

fluff191 said:

Sounds like a man with my ears. I'll have to try a Mullard.
I really liked the sound of the EH's in my ROV, but had big time reliability issues. (burned out three in less than two months.) Curious is you've had any issues with them? I've never tried them out in my Dual.

Never ever had a problem with EH tubes. Dead quiet. Just make sure to get them from a good source. I use TudeDepot.com. Great seller.

Latest posts

Back