Pre-Tour Triple Rectifier Disaster :(

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k0d0s

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new here but I figured if there is any place on the internet to find help on my Dual Channel Triple Recto, it would be here.

Here goes my story:

We play this crappy venue yesterday, and all of our equipment is powerd by a single outlet. My sound kept cutting out every once in a while during our soundcheck, so I figured there was a problem. Eventually my Recto cuts out completely, and it won't turn back on. A friend of mine and a fellow Recto user checked the fuse and he said it looked fine, meaning the problem resides elsewhere in the amp. I've tried putting a new fuse in it since then, but it still won't turn on. My tubes all look fine, which leads me to believe that something is wrong internally.

If anyone can show me a schematic, or tell me what to look for in my amp to see if there is a problem, PLEASE help me because my band leaves for tour on Monday and I would hate to have to use a 6505+ instead of my beloved Triple.

Thanks a ton,

-k0d0s
myspace.com/abacabb

What kind of fuse did you replace it with?

Also, check your preamp tubes..

edit: awesome band name, mortal kombat ruled :D

I'm not sure what kind of fuse it is, but it is the same kind that was in it before when it worked.

Also, how do I check my pre-amp tubes without the power on?!

Thanks,

-k0d0s

Put different 12AX7's in one by one.

Should be a 4amp sloblo fuse.. make sure you use the right one.

Where can I find one of those fuses? Additionally, I don't have any other 12ax7s :/

k0d0s said:
Where can I find one of those fuses? Additionally, I don't have any other 12ax7s :/

You need to make a trip to the store :)

Any hardware store or radioshack type place will have that fuse. Just ask for a 4 AMP sloblo (slow blow) fuse.

As far as 12ax7's (preamp tubes), most music shops will have them. Grab a few and start swapping them in and out.

I see you are also in alexandria, VA, if you want to stop by my place tomorrow i can take a look at the amp, and I also have other pre-amp tubes as well power amp tubes. I get off work and wlil be home around 5:15PM.

That would be awesome, the only problem is we are currently in Long Island and our first show is in Poughkeepsie.

OK, first thing i would say to try, is if it has a detached power cord, borrow another power cord and make sure that is not the problem. i have seen them go bad.

If that is not the problem, and you find yourself handy with electronics, get yourself a digital multi meter and check where the power comes in, coming off the fuse ect.. and see if there is power there. Past that i think it then goes to the transformer, and which case that might have taken a crap, which would really suck

k0d0s said:
That would be awesome, the only problem is we are currently in Long Island and our first show is in Poughkeepsie.

What exactly does the transformer look like? A lot of people have suggested that this might be the problem but I'm not sure what to look for. Do you have a schematic for what is what?

Thanks,

-k0d0s

Transformers look like these roughly

http://www.angela.com/catalog/guitar-amp-parts/GUITAR_AMP_TRANSFORMER.html

and if it went bad you do best to have a professional change it, very hight voltage, and very dangerous.

I would replace the fuse
I had one go bad on me and it looked in great condition but it wasnt

I would then look at all the tubes,just carefully pull them out
They should all look clear until the top which should be a silver colour like mercury/metal

also if you tap them gently with the rubber end of a pencil there should be no real bad ratteling sound,if so one of these are bad

It sounds to me like its a fuse or power problem definatly as it aint goin on,it could be apart of the power circuit in the amp,a component could have blown

I would look here for a guy named Boogiebabies and direct your problem to him,he should be able to make a pretty sharp diagnosis of this problem

hope any of that helps
I have suffered the same problem and it was tube and fuse failure

You would have smelled fusing burnt metal if it was the OT aka Output Transformer the first time it went out. It's a distinct and obvious smell, really strong.

If it's not the fuse, call around to see if there is a tech anywhere near you on the way to Poughkeepsie. OR .....a guitar shop, a lot of those guys are willing to lend a hand to a touring band.
They might be able to help you out for not much $cratch.

Probably as simple as a bad tube, good luck man !

If your on tour, you might want to buy a set of new tubes and replace everything. replace all power tubes and preamp tubes one at a time and find the bad one (if any) and keep the rest of the good ones as spares. Also you could call mesa and they may help you out with tubes, if the amp is new they'll send you tubes (maybe) they sent me new tubes when my amp went down.

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you don't know what a transformer looks like then a schematic isn't going to help you. If you're not familiar with tube electronics you can only do more damage to your amp. It's probably something very simple right now, but if you go inside the amp you could easily make your repair bill a lot bigger. Take it to a tech.
Jerry

jerryp said:
Don't take this the wrong way, but if you don't know what a transformer looks like then a schematic isn't going to help you. If you're not familiar with tube electronics you can only do more damage to your amp. It's probably something very simple right now, but if you go inside the amp you could easily make your repair bill a lot bigger. Take it to a tech.
Jerry

I agree I think I know a good bit about tube amps but if mine goes down its straight to the tech.

i dont know where your tour is taking you after Poughkeepsie but there is a great Mesa tech in Edison, NJ.... thats where I take all my Mesa Amps.....should only be about an hour and a half from Poughkeepsie

BTW way its called Central Jersey Music Repair shop..... its connected to a Music Store called Lou Rose Music in edison, nj on route 27.... you can gte to it right off the Garden State Parkway or 287.... hope everything works out

The MOV is probably blown. Should be an easy repair for any qualified tech.

Latest posts

Back